NFR Mr. Russell - Greatest winner of all time

Non-fishing related

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I really feel Mr. Russell deserves his own thread. He was part of more championships than any other athlete of the 3 major sports, from college (NCAA titles in 1955 and 1956), to Olympic (1956 gold medal), and of course the NBA (11 championships). Probably the greatest defender in the history of the game. As great as he was on the court, he was perhaps even a greater person off the court; a consistent and courageous spokesman for racial justice, and just a class individual right to the end. May he rest in peace.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Class act and a hell of a player. He was inventing a legit chunk of how the game is played today. Can't say that about too many of the greats.

kerrys

Ignored Member
I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Russell at the Tumwater Fred Meyer years ago. I seen the guy (kinda hard to miss him) walked up to him and told him how much I enjoyed watching him play for the Celtics and especially the games against Wilt Chamberlain. He stopped reached down to shake my hand and chatted with me for a few minutes. It was a moment I will never forget. Cool guy.

Rest In Peace Mr. Russell.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Remember seeing his tennis shoes on the Freedom Train…they looked skateboard sized.

(Still have Commemorative Bronze Coin too)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bill Russell is the high bar for sports and human greatness, and set it with such grace and style.
Wilt Chamberlin was quoted a few years before he passed as saying "there was only one basketball player better than me that ever played in the NBA, and it is Bill Russell."

Go Fish

Smolt
Always admired him for his on and off court accomplishments.
To win 11 NBA championships in 13 years will never happen again.
Plus a California high school championship an Olympic gold medal plus
2 NCAA championships. If you consider wining to be the ultimate goal in sports
then Mr. Russell was the best player, in my opinion, every to play the game.
Dave