more Sandy

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Might be a hatchery stock thing. Another not far away CR trib, already has a few hundred. Those fish are "N" type stock and normally Oct thru Nov returns. That said, the pilot run was expected a week earlier with none showing on the escapement report.

Not sure of stock specifics with Sandy stock but definitely seems like they should be in now.

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Might be a hatchery stock thing. Another not far away CR trib, already has a few hundred. Those fish are "N" type stock and normally Oct thru Nov returns. That said, the pilot run was expected a week earlier with none showing on the escapement report.

Not sure of stock specifics with Sandy stock but definitely seems like they should be in now.
Did the kill nets get them all ?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Did the kill nets get them all ?
To be honest, I've been having thoughts about this. The netters are supposed to have areas that are off limits, the Sandy Delta being one of them. Up until last Wednesday evening, the Delta had piles of (lockjawed) coho all over it. Just an indescribable amount jumping and rolling all over with dudes casting at them for hours with no bites.

They were completely gone Thurs/Fri/Sat. Like, vanished. Overnight. (nets went in Wednesday night).

I've been considering checking with the authorities on this, but I've never once heard of enforcement actually doing anything with the commercial nets when asked.

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
To be honest, I've been having thoughts about this. The netters are supposed to have areas that are off limits, the Sandy Delta being one of them. Up until last Wednesday evening, the Delta had piles of (lockjawed) coho all over it. Just an indescribable amount jumping and rolling all over with dudes casting at them for hours with no bites.

They were completely gone Thurs/Fri/Sat. Like, vanished. Overnight. (nets went in Wednesday night).

I've been considering checking with the authorities on this, but I've never once heard of enforcement actually doing anything with the commercial nets when asked.
That is because O.D.F.W. loves the nets.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Here's what I was referencing
1696864292240.png

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I just wish I knew if they are late or if it is over .
Well, I have a very strong gut feeling that a few hundred or possibly thousands ended up in a commercial net Wednesday/Thursday. Those fish just disappeared literally overnight.

I looked up the sanctuary boundary, and it's predictably poorly written. I think the spot the fish are staging are technically just outside the boundary because the regulations don't seem to be aware that the river channel shifted east by a LOT and now points east vs north. So I think our commercial guys got a new honey hole.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
8" minimum mesh size is Chinook gear. 5 1/2" to 6" is coho gear. Most coho would slip right through 8" mesh.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
8" minimum mesh size is Chinook gear. 5 1/2" to 6" is coho gear. Most coho would slip right through 8" mesh.
You'd think that, but all the coho I've caught in the past few weeks have been much bigger than the chinook I've been catching. The coho in there are massive.

Last week, four coho ended up in my kill bag that were over 12 lbs.

bashovia

Freshly Spawned
Fished the Sandy on Saturday and the Clackamas on Sunday. Worked Oxbow, Dodge and the hatchery. Hit Bonnie Lure and McIver. Nothing. That’s 0-6 for me on trying for coho. Hopefully the rain will help

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Clackamas is currently over 11,000 wild early coho at N Fk dam, and a hatchery employee estimated they've gotten around 2500 back so far at Eagle Creek. The last few years I've checked they usually end up with around 5000. Just gotta get 'em to bite!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Clackamas is currently over 11,000 wild early coho at N Fk dam, and a hatchery employee estimated they've gotten around 2500 back so far at Eagle Creek. The last few years I've checked they usually end up with around 5000. Just gotta get 'em to bite!
As opposed to the Sandy, which is at double digit numbers. Hooray for gillnetting!

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That's kind of what I was getting at. No idea how many get planted in the Sandy, but there should be a lot of fish in there.

P.S. we need to train the Columbia trib steelhead to follow the coho instead of travel all the way out to Japan or wherever. Seems to be a better spot.