Montana/Idaho

I just returned from a week fishing Idaho and Montana. Per the usual, it did not disappoint, even though river conditions were less than ideal, especially for wade anglers. Prior to making the drive, we monitored river conditions hoping the steep downward trend continued but Mother Nature had different plans, and consistently delivered afternoon thunderstorms that had the gauge readings looking like ECG’s all week. Nonetheless, it’s early summer, the hatches were strong and varied and the fish were hungry. If you were able to get yourself safely to a spot where you could make a cast to fishy water, it often paid off. It also helped to fish higher in river systems where the water tended to be lower and clearer. Fish were caught on everything from large stone fly imitations down to size 18 BWO patterns and a bunch of others in between. For me, Montana is about dries. I fish subsurface 95% of the time here in WA so I tend to stubbornly stick to dries when there, even if nymphing or streamers would be more productive. I pretty much stuck to that plan all week with just a few morning sessions nymphing. Overall, great trip. Fish caught out of 4-5 rivers and streams.Nothing quite like watching a nice cutthroat rise up and gently slurp a big dry. It never gets old!

Fish caught were mainly cutthroats/cut bows and some small browns. My fishing partner also caught a brookie in froggy backwater channel (not pictured).

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2546.jpeg

IMG_2554.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2550.jpeg
IMG_2552.jpeg

Also got a beautiful colored whitefish during one of the morning nymph sessions.

IMG_2548.jpeg

Some of you may recognize this spot. Popular river, popular section. The scenic beauty never disappoints!

IMG_2559.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

AK coming up then the trout rods go away and coho beach rods come out. Love this time of year!!

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I just returned from a week fishing Idaho and Montana. Per the usual, it did not disappoint, even though river conditions were less than ideal, especially for wade anglers. Prior to making the drive, we monitored river conditions hoping the steep downward trend continued but Mother Nature had different plans, and consistently delivered afternoon thunderstorms that had the gauge readings looking like ECG’s all week. Nonetheless, it’s early summer, the hatches were strong and varied and the fish were hungry. If you were able to get yourself safely to a spot where you could make a cast to fishy water, it often paid off. It also helped to fish higher in river systems where the water tended to be lower and clearer. Fish were caught on everything from large stone fly imitations down to size 18 BWO patterns and a bunch of others in between. For me, Montana is about dries. I fish subsurface 95% of the time here in WA so I tend to stubbornly stick to dries when there, even if nymphing or streamers would be more productive. I pretty much stuck to that plan all week with just a few morning sessions nymphing. Overall, great trip. Fish caught out of 4-5 rivers and streams.Nothing quite like watching a nice cutthroat rise up and gently slurp a big dry. It never gets old!

Fish caught were mainly cutthroats/cut bows and some small browns. My fishing partner also caught a brookie in froggy backwater channel (not pictured).

View attachment 71104

View attachment 71103

View attachment 71110

View attachment 71105

View attachment 71106

View attachment 71108
View attachment 71107

Also got a beautiful colored whitefish during one of the morning nymph sessions.

View attachment 71109

Some of you may recognize this spot. Popular river, popular section. The scenic beauty never disappoints!

View attachment 71111

View attachment 71102

AK coming up then the trout rods go away and coho beach rods come out. Love this time of year!!
I’m with you in that catching 12-16” cutts with an occasional 18” on dries just still has not gotten old for me. At least, for 1 week/year.
Great report, I can sense the stoke! I’ll be there Wednesday - Sunday the week after this one.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’m with you in that catching 12-16” cutts with an occasional 18” on dries just still has not gotten old for me. At least, for 1 week/year.
Great report, I can sense the stoke! I’ll be there Wednesday - Sunday the week after this one.

I’d be happy doing it more than a week a year :). That said, if given the choice 10 years ago this is all I would have wanted to do. WA has changed my perspective on that.

Leaving Thursday after recycling pick up trying to catch some salmonfly action on the Madison.
Probably won't make as nice of a report as you..

Good luck. We missed them on the river I was fishing for the most part. Still picked up a couple on a salmon fly pattern. Love to hear a report from you!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I honestly don’t think itd ever get old