Monster Turtle

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I had a girlfriend that went kayaking in San Diego Bay one day. She was terrified by some "monster" "as big as a fifty five gallon oil drum", that was following her around. I was skeptical, but she was pretty shaken up. Turns out there is a population of giant turtles in the south bay that can survive because of the warm water from the power plant. Some biologist think that they are leftovers from a commercial turtle operation from decades ago. Biologist have them all numbered and study them extensively...they also prefer not to advertise there presence, to protect them from human interaction. I learned to never, ever doubt that woman's unbelievable tall tales.

Last edited:

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
As a kid growing up in the East, snapping turtles were fearsome and feared. "Skinny dipping" was often employed. And then there was the hit song on the radio "My Ding A Ling" by Chuck Berry regarding "swimming across Turtle Creek". The lyrics were simply hilarious to us hicks.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Growing up in Indiana, there were always tales of giant snapping turtles pulling cattle into farm ponds.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Also same person caught a 234 lb gator with 6 lb test line sure throws that theory out that you need 3X to catch big trout

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I was once fishing a small stream in the Ozark's for Small Mouth bass with a topwater. I fished downstream to an area where the locals were fishing for gar with a .22 rifle. As I recall, they were quite quizzical about my fishing techniques. I headed back upstream, but never forgot the encounter.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Also same person caught a 234 lb gator with 6 lb test line sure throws that theory out that you need 3X to catch big trout
I prefer 2X if they will take , the sooner I get them released the better. Not a great fan of leaving a hook in a fish that’s broke off ,

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've caught fish on a 0 weight rod with 6X tippet landed them much faster I see people fishing with 5 & 6 weight rods