Minnow Patterns

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I had a little success stripping a small, all white clouser at my local lake last week. Got me thinking I would like to further this minnow thing.. I was looking at an old Al Cambell fly tying site and decided I'll tie-up some Thunder Creek minnows.
What minnow patterns do you all find effective for Westside lakes? Care to share the preferred angling techniques? Thanks!..

Flymph

Steelhead
Match the "Minnow" (hatch) that fish are feeding on. I would think you would want to concentrate on lakes with creek flow (inlet-outlet). I say this because these are the only lakes I have encountered minnows. There is one particular lake that has irrigation inflow from a local river that carries sculpin into the lake. Others, not me, have had some success with muddler type imitations from time to time.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Match the "Minnow" (hatch) that fish are feeding on. I would think you would want to concentrate on lakes with creek flow (inlet-outlet). I say this because these are the only lakes I have encountered minnows. There is one particular lake that has irrigation inflow from a local river that carries sculpin into the lake. Others, not me, have had some success with muddler type imitations from time to time.
Most the lakes I fish are "basin" lakes and spring fed. They all have warm water species and trout..the spawn should be happening soon. I just need to get some productive flies and techniques.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter

I fish these near shorelines, especially around vegetation and other structures. Steep banks are a plus.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

I fish these near shorelines, especially around vegetation and other structures. Steep banks are a plus.
You strip these or use an indicator..? Would this work in an un- balanced style?

WonderBrad

Steelhead
Olive/White/Orange Optic Minnow is one of the best producers for me. The lighting strike marabou muddler also produces well (in white black and olive).

Attachments

• OliveOrangeOptic.JPG
    OliveOrangeOptic.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 34
  • LightningStrikeMuddler.jpg
    LightningStrikeMuddler.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 34