NFR Mike Tyson

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I think a lot of people just remember Mike the fighter but he has become so deep and spiritual as he ages.

I came across this short video and the words just sort of hit me:

I recommend watching it a few times to truely grasp what Mike is saying.
Thought it was worth a share
Billy🍻

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Sounds like that 'cause he still has an ear in his mouth.

I think a lot of people just remember Mike the fighter but he has become so deep and spiritual as he ages.

I came across this short video and the words just sort of hit me:

I recommend watching it a few times to truely grasp what Mike is saying.
Thought it was worth a share
Billy🍻

It was a pain seeing Don King wreck that guy.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
You mean the guy who went to prison for rape? Yeah, cool dude...
I understand some may not be able to look over his past...

But he went from a checkered abused childhood to the baddest man on the planet and everything associated with that lifestyle and then he went to prison and now appears rehabilitated.

All of this as he got hit in the head over and over again. It's quite the journey really...

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Cus D'Amato saved him, then when he died, Tyson lost his way. He became a punk and a mediocre fighter - coulda, shoulda been one of the all time greats. I haven't had much time for him and his dime store philosophizing since, perhaps I should give him another chance?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I understand some may not be able to look over his past...

But he went from a checkered abused childhood to the baddest man on the planet and everything associated with that lifestyle and then he went to prison and now appears rehabilitated.
Poster boy for physcadelic therapy....debatable at least.

Although I think he has some money invested in these things also.
Don't think it's a mirage of peacefullness, but I never assume much anymore.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Cus D'Amato saved him, then when he died, Tyson lost his way. He became a punk and a mediocre fighter - coulda, shoulda been one of the all time greats. I haven't had much time for him and his dime store philosophizing since, perhaps I should give him another chance?

Dont believe I've ever seen anyone not consider Tyson one of the all time great heavyweights.

I admit I don't follow boxing like I used to, but he's sure one of the best to do it in my eyes, and from what I've seen, that's not a rare opinion.

t_law

Steelhead
Tyson, no doubt, is one of the all time greats. Some of his fights were over before they even began, fear being the victor. Some of those dudes wanted to climb out the ring as soon as they stepped in. But he did become a mediocre fighter after his prison stint and that was a damn shame, he was fun to watch.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Dont believe I've ever seen anyone not consider Tyson one of the all time great heavyweights.

I admit I don't follow boxing like I used to, but he's sure one of the best to do it in my eyes, and from what I've seen, that's not a rare opinion.
Tyson, no doubt, is one of the all time greats. Some of his fights were over before they even began, fear being the victor. Some of those dudes wanted to climb out the ring as soon as they stepped in. But he did become a mediocre fighter after his prison stint and that was a damn shame, he was fun to watch.

I used to be a passionate follower, having fought some in my teens. In my opinion, Tyson doesn't even belong in the same conversation as Ali, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Rocky Marcianno, Evander Holyfield, or even Ernie Shavers and Ken Norton. Yes, he was a feared puncher, but he lacked discipline and worst of all, he had no heart, it's why he quit on more than one occasion. He fought a lot of stiffs in his career, which inflated his numbers, and he was knocked out by one and quit after the 6th to another, not to mention biting Holyfield's ear because he was losing.

t_law

Steelhead
He fought a lot of stiffs in his career,
Who didn't?

I'll leave this here for you.
  • 50-6 professional record
  • 44 knockouts
  • Undisputed Heavyweight Boxing Champion of the World, 1987-1990
  • Youngest Heavyweight Champion in History (20)
  • First simultaneous heavyweight titleholder of WBA, WBC, and IBF titles.
  • Only heavyweight to ever unify the three major titles.
  • One of six boxers to become heavyweight champion a second time after losing it. <<<<< Doesn't sound like a quitter
  • 2x Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year, 1986 & 1988
  • 2x Sugar Ray Robinson Award Winner, 1987 & 1989
  • International Boxing Hall of Fame, 2011

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
2nd or 3rd fight I had seen Tyson in, I said to myself…”That’s the next Heavy Champion of the World!”.

He was that devastating in the ring. 😉

I used to be a passionate follower, having fought some in my teens. In my opinion, Tyson doesn't even belong in the same conversation as Ali, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Rocky Marcianno, Evander Holyfield, or even Ernie Shavers and Ken Norton. Yes, he was a feared puncher, but he lacked discipline and worst of all, he had no heart, it's why he quit on more than one occasion. He fought a lot of stiffs in his career, which inflated his numbers, and he was knocked out by one and quit after the 6th to another, not to mention biting Holyfield's ear because he was losing.
I agree with much of what you said but as I said, mostly after Don King.
As for Evander, he got his ear bit after head-butting a gash over Mike's eye, a strategy he used in all his fights. Our boxing crowd used to call him Billygoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.