Metolius Advice?

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm headed to wade the Metolius next week for the first time, and looking for some advice on where to start.

I've hiked the trail near the upstream end before, but never driven there specifically to fish.

This is NOT a request for hotspot info - just a starting place where I drive, park, and walk/wade. The maps don't do much to help, other than get me to Camp Sherman. Is it just a matter of following 14 northward?

BCO

Steelhead
When you get to Camp Sherman stop at the store/fly shop and buy a sandwich and a Black Butte Porter. Ask the guy in the fly shop what is hatching and when. Buy the recommended flys. Stealth is required as the fish are spooky and are often found in the underhang of the bank you are standing. Also ask about bull trout. Take a a stout 6wt or a 7wt for the bulls.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Make sure you bring a camera too. It's one be-u-t-ful river. Have fun.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
If nymphing, be on the bottom. Shallow to deep transitions can be good spots. Might recommend to get to Camp Creek, head downstream on the hiking trail, some fine water after a hike that gets less traffic, nice long run then couple of big bends in the river where you can wade out in the eddy, but word of warning, water can be deeper than it looks.

Remember, above Allingham Bridge is still closed (until 22 May).

Good luck and enjoy.

cheers

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I've not mastered that river. I've been told there is fish up and down that river. I love fishing that river, it's just a beautiful place to be. So my advise, Have Fun. Enjoy the experience!

gpt

Smolt
start at Allingham bridge and work downstream. great wading water and if you are really careful, you may hook a fish or two. this river is an honest challenge for even the best anglers.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
One note, stop at fly fishers place in sisters they stock a map with all the “popular” holes. It’s at least a good place to start!

If fishing dries, skip the adults and fish emergers!!!

EBT

Smolt
When fishing emergers, a 12'+ leader is essential. Microcurrents on that river are extremely difficult; the long leader is very important.