Meat Fishing

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Columbia River spring Chinook is the very best salmon I have ever eaten. Period. If there is better salmon out there, I don't know about it.
Salmo - Have you eaten/compared to Sol Duc hatchery springers? I think it originated as a man-made run from in-basin stock? At this point they look different than the summer-runs and very different from the fall fish. The springers on the lower SD are some of the chromest salmon I've seen, like mirrors.

This one was pretty damn tasty!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
If Resident fish from the Columbia were more edible walleye would be another one. I'd have gone after..

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If Resident fish from the Columbia were more edible walleye would be another one. I'd have gone after..
if you go up above a dam or two, they're not so bad in that regard if you're not eating them every day. i've talked to a few biologist types in the know on that over the years, and right below bonneville, they're a "once a year" kind of thing. above there, and the further away you get from the dam(s) themselves, they get safer to eat. I love a few walleye trips per year.
1644534324737.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have you eaten/compared to Sol Duc hatchery springers? I think it originated as a man-made run from in-basin stock? At this point they look different than the summer-runs and very different from the fall fish. The springers on the lower SD are some of the chromest salmon I've seen, like mirrors.
Thomas, the SD hatchery springer program was developed using Cowlitz spring Chinook. Since they are a lower Columbia stock I've heard conflicting stories about their table quality compared to those heading to the Wenatchee, Methow, or Snake R. Given that Cowltiz springers run timing can be from Feb - June and don't begin spawning until late August, that's enough time span to require good lipid reserves for maturation. Spring Chinook most everywhere I know of are very chrome upon river entry because they don't mature sexually for 3 months or more. I have not caught or eaten a Cowlitz (that I know of) or SD springer but wouldn't mind changing that, strictly in the interest of science of course.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
if you go up above a dam or two, they're not so bad in that regard if you're not eating them every day. i've talked to a few biologist types in the know on that over the years, and right below bonneville, they're a "once a year" kind of thing. above there, and the further away you get from the dam(s) themselves, they get safer to eat. I love a few walleye trips per year.
View attachment 4529

Here in Pueblo walleye are common by catch while I am bass fishing. I probably caught 30 last year. Regulations are 18" minimum length and most of the ones I caught were 17 3/4"
But we caught half a dozen or so keepers. Some of the funnest fishing was throwing suspending jerkbaits at night under a full moon. That's also how I got a treble through my finger while the lure was still connected to a 16" walleye... that was fun... but I got it out and kept fishing.
Anyway they are yummy.. but not big like up in the Celilo pool.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thomas, the SD hatchery springer program was developed using Cowlitz spring Chinook. Since they are a lower Columbia stock I've heard conflicting stories about their table quality compared to those heading to the Wenatchee, Methow, or Snake R. Given that Cowltiz springers run timing can be from Feb - June and don't begin spawning until late August, that's enough time span to require good lipid reserves for maturation. Spring Chinook most everywhere I know of are very chrome upon river entry because they don't mature sexually for 3 months or more. I have not caught or eaten a Cowlitz (that I know of) or SD springer but wouldn't mind changing that, strictly in the interest of science of course.
Awesome. Thanks for the intel! Happy to help you out with the science experiment any time. ;)

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Alaskan coho on spinners are my jam. I take a Trip up to Yakutat every September to fill my freezer.

I do a lot of meat fishing here in WA too, mostly on the stronger hatchery coho and spring chinook runs around me. If I am planning on bonking fish, I usually float eggs, throw spinners, or twitch jigs.

1644556545948.jpeg

1644556727508.jpeg
1644557017287.jpeg