Making the Wells Spoon

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Porting this over from corporate.

I've had several inquiries about the Wells Spoons that I use for Coho so I thought I'd put up a step by step on how I make them. Not being a fly I'm sure this won't be for everybody. These lures can be thrown with a fly rod and fly line, especially a spey rod which is what I like to use when casting them. I also troll these in the river or the salt with a full sinking line. Of course they can also be used with gear rods and is how I caught all my coho this year.

The history as I've heard it:
Earl Wells developed these for fishing kings in Jim Creek decades ago. I use to get these at Skagit Anglers where they were advertised as “Fly Rod Spoons” When he passed, they were made by others but not all of them were true to the original. I've tried to keep these true to what Earl made based on some of his originals that I have in my possession. The sizing and shapes that I use are of my own preference and how they behave in the water.

There is a process to making them so I usually make them in batches of six or seven and get the hooks bent and wire cut before starting.

Tools:

I don't have a wire forming tool and have never used one. For these what I use is a vise and a 5 penny box nail to form the wire around. I cinch the nail in the vise so that almost half of the body is out of the vise so I can twist the wire as close to the nail as possible.
IMG_0300.JPG

The other specialized thing I use is a pair of 7 Inch French Shears for cutting the brass sheet. You'll also need a pair of side cutters that will cut as close to flush as possible and a couple pair of needle nose pliers. A tape measure, extra fine point sharpie, a straight edge, and a hole punch or drill will also be needed.
IMG_0301.JPG

I start by marking out a 9/16” wide strip on the brass sheet. Some call this brass shim stock, I found this sheet somewhere online and it is gold on one side. I like it better after the gold is rubbed off with steel wool, but until then it makes a great marking surface. The thickness of the sheet is .016”

IMG_0302.JPG

After cutting the strip with the french shears you need to gently tease it back to a flat surface from the coil it becomes after cutting. I then trace around my pattern leaving a little room between them to separate them before cutting them out. Handling them too much will rub off the marking so try to minimize that when you cut them out with the french shears. After cutting them out I usually go around the edges with a file to dress them up and remove any sharp edges that may cut your line.

IMG_0303.JPG

The next step is to punch the holes. I use a hole punch that I've had from other projects but a friend of mine uses a center punch and a drill. The hole size I use is 3/32” because it's the smallest die for the tool. You want the edge of the hole about 1/8” from the edge of the brass. The guide on my tool was set to 1/4” so I had to modify the fence on it by bending a radius in it to get the hole closer to the edge.

IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG

After the holes are made it's time to put the wiggle in them. This can be done with a ball peen hammer or the head of a 3/8” carriage bolt. With either thing I use a small piece of cork sheeting under it so the brass can flex. Do one end and then flip it over and do the other end.

IMG_0307.JPGIMG_0310.JPG

Next comes the wire. Stainless spring wire at .018 dia. The spring part is important in the description of what you buy. It needs to be fairly stiff and “springy” so it holds it's shape.

IMG_0311.JPG

Start with a 6” length and holding each end with a pair of needle nose start the bend around the nail to form a loop and stop when it looks like this.

IMG_0315.JPG

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Continued:

Then pull it off of the nail and slide the small end of the spoon down the wire to the loop and place it back on the nail with the blade away from you. The space in the vise makes for a good place to put it.

IMG_0318.JPG

Using the two pair of needle nose, pull the standing wire towards you and take two turns around it with the tag end. Make the wraps as close to the nail and as tight as you can. I usually stop these wraps perpendicular to the flat plane of the loop so I can get the side cutters in closer to trim the tag.

IMG_0319.JPG

Holding the spoon with one hand, use the pliers to start other loop around the nail. At this point you can do one of two things. Apply a swivel, or not. Earl, to my knowledge never put one on the lure, but I do. Which ever you decide to do then follow with the two tight wraps around the wire and trim the tag.

IMG_0320.JPGIMG_0321.JPG

Using the exact same steps on the other end of the spoon, you affix the hook I always apply the hook as the last step, less blood letting that way. The hooks I use on these are size two octopus hooks with the eye being heated and straightened, then set in oil to cool and re-temper them. Earl use to use a hook that is no longer available. Probably because the octopus style is pretty dang close. Try to choose a hook made with thin wire. Gamakatsu is what I'm currently using, in nickel finish.

IMG_0322.JPG

You can use these plain or dress them up with lure tape. Have fun!

IMG_0323.JPGIMG_0324.JPG

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
especially a spey rod which is what I like to use when casting them
So do you just swing them across like a leech? Or is there some other trick?

Heads up that I am generally clueless about anything gear-fishing related in rivers.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So do you just swing them across like a leech? Or is there some other trick?

Heads up that I am generally clueless about anything gear-fishing related in rivers.
Yup. And a lot of the grabs will come on the retrieve.