NFR Let's talk "slicks".

Non-fishing related

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Days like today, where driving, cold rain persists, for hours on end ...the subject of "slicks" seems to be appropriate. I'm not talking about breathable, cortex outer shell stuff, I'm talking about "slicks"...... Of course Grundens is the standard of the industry. However, I would like to endorse the brand "Granyte storm gear" that is sold at my local "Farm and Ranch" store. These slicks are lightweight, durable and have nice pocket features and are about half the price of Grundens. I started this thread in hopes of learning more about the world of "slicks". Any input would be much appreciated. cheers, Jim

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I got some granyte stormgear bibs and jacket for tuna last season at the local farm and ranch store. I've been pretty impressed at about $35/item. Highly recommended for occasional use especially for activities that may damage my nicer rain wear.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm in the market for some serious rain wear. I'll check out the granyte brand. Also Costco has a high vis rain suit right now for $50 that my dad just bought, I was liking the high vis because I would be using this for mushroom hunting among other things.
20221104_082701.jpg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Slicks were called "oilskins" on the boat. I do have one old Grundens, but I've got a full set of Helly Hanson. They are not light; they are not breathable, but they are completely waterproof. The thing I find is that both the Grunens and Helly Hanson hoods were designed for pinhead sized Norwegians, so I've found it best to team them up with a waterproof Sou'wester.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Slicks were called "oilskins" on the boat. I do have one old Grundens, but I've got a full set of Helly Hanson. They are not light; they are not breathable, but they are completely waterproof. The thing I find is that both the Grunens and Helly Hanson hoods were designed for pinhead sized Norwegians, so I've found it best to team them up with a waterproof Sou'wester.
Norwegians have square heads not pin heads. Sheesh, some people.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Guy Cotten.

Last word in non-breathable raingear, IMO.

I always use my goretex, tho. Even in the rainforest, I don't really have issues with it not keeping me dry.

Guy Cotten looks good from what I have seen but never owned it.

I agree on Goretex. It seems they patented it and perfected it and everything else comes in at a distant second.