NFR Lawn Mowers

Non-fishing related

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, it's that time of the year again. More accurately, it has been that time for a while now but we haven't had a dry weekend yet. Tomorrow is looking like the day, which got me to thinking about the sad state of my old craftsman lawn mower. It still runs but the power drive is gone and its all loose and wobbly. I have 3 separate lawns so not big enough for a rider but a fair amount of mowing none the less. I think I'll treat myself to a new mower this year to make it less of a chore.

Anybody have any recommendations on the newer mowers? Not looking to throw $1K at it but don't want a POS either. Something mid-range. Something self propelled since its on a hill. I don't use the bag so not too worried about that part. Seems like electric mowers are getting popular, is that tech far enough along to invest in it yet? Hopefully this will be my mower for the next 10 years...

Appreciate any advice!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Well, it's that time of the year again. More accurately, it has been that time for a while now but we haven't had a dry weekend yet. Tomorrow is looking like the day, which got me to thinking about the sad state of my old craftsman lawn mower. It still runs but the power drive is gone and its all loose and wobbly. I have 3 separate lawns so not big enough for a rider but a fair amount of mowing none the less. I think I'll treat myself to a new mower this year to make it less of a chore.

Anybody have any recommendations on the newer mowers? Not looking to throw $1K at it but don't want a POS either. Something mid-range. Something self propelled since its on a hill. I don't use the bag so not too worried about that part. Seems like electric mowers are getting popular, is that tech far enough along to invest in it yet? Hopefully this will be my mower for the next 10 years...

Appreciate any advice!
I've been using an EGO 21" self-propelled battery powered mower for about 4 years now. Haven't used my Toro Honda engine mower even once during that time. Completely pleased with its performance. I have a fairly big yard.

Electric mowers are much lighter than gas mowers, so I seldom use the self-propelled mode (though my wife likes it). Pushing it increases battery life considerably (though she can complete the entire yard using the self-propelled mode without running out of juice).

One final thing (really true for all mowers) is to keep the blade sharpened for best results.

Zak

Legend

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I got a very hilly lawn. 4WD toro personal pace works great, easy start, uses very little gas. Mulch, bag, side discharge….does it all. My last mower.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Get a 10 year old kid. They won't know the mower isn't working well and they'll do a good enough job. :p
As a kid I chopped off more than a few sprinkler heads, hoping the old man would reconsider tasking me with lawnmowing. Didn't work, but I did learn how to replace and avoid sprinkler heads.

RCF

Life of the Party
If you want a gas mower I recommend a Honda mower. Mine have been purchased from a Honda dealer. The first one lasted 20 years. I am on my second one and am 15 years in. They are mid-priced depending on the features you pick.

I have wondered about battery-powered. When my Honda mower dies, there will be no more gas-powered ones...

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I also have an EGO 21" self-propelled and wouldn't go back to gas. It goes through anything the gas would and the battery life is good. I also have an EGO turbo blower I can almost levitate with...and the batteries are interchangeable. (also works well for launching pickleballs at my neighbours' cat sitting under our bird feeder...:rolleyes: )

Last edited:
I have a 36 volt makita self propelled. Built heavy duty, hold 4 batteries but uses 2 at a time. I run makita 18v platform tools so that's the camp I'm in. I also have the 36v blower and 36v string trimmer plus assorted 18v drills etc.
Yup I'm a Makita fan

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Digging the advice all!

My old craftsman mower does have the Honda engine and that still runs great. Its the rest of it thats falling apart.

Think I'll head to the big Ace and check out the Ego mowers. They aren't cheap but I don't need all the fancy options, just the basic mower. this one looks about right:

krusty

Forum Supporter
When I first bought the EGO I was surprised how it never bogged down in high thick grass like my Honda. Must be the high torque of the electric motor.

Mowing height adjustment is easier than any mower I've ever owned as well.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I bought a Brill battery operated electric reel mower nearly twenty five years ago. It worked great for my medium sized lawn at the time. I sold it when we sold that house, and I’m sure that battery powered mowers have probably improved since then.

I’d buy one again in a heartbeat, but we have a fake lawn now which requires no maintenance at all.

Flymph

Steelhead
I bought a Brill battery operated electric reel mower nearly twenty five years ago. It worked great for my medium sized lawn at the time. I sold it when we sold that house, and I’m sure that battery powered mowers have probably improved since then.

I’d buy one again in a heartbeat, but we have a fake lawn now which requires no maintenance at all.
Serious questions about your fake lawn, do you miss the oxygen and does it make your home hotter? I love the idea of never mowing the lawn again but ; ; ; ;?

Zak

Legend
I also have an EGO 21" self-propelled and wouldn't go back to gas. It goes through anything the gas would and the battery life is good. I also have an EGO turbo blower I can almost levitate with...and the batteries are interchangeable. (also works well for launching pickleballs at my neighbours' cat sitting under our bird feeder...:rolleyes: )
Good point re interchangeable batteries. If you go electric, probably best to pick one brand and stay with it. One thing I like about Ryobi from Home Deport is their good return policy and convenient nearby location. I bought the lower-end Ryobi mower first, immediately mowed through some gravelly mole hills, trashed the blade, and brought it back to exchange it for the larger brushless version. The brushless electric motors seem to conserve battery power.

Reactions: RCF

krusty

Forum Supporter
I'd have an xeriscaped yard, but we live on the very edge of 'Snake Central'. Got too many showing up in the yard as it is (they don't seem to like traversing open swaths of mowed lawn...too conspicuous for predators maybe?).

Sometimes big bull snakes brave the journey to coil up on the concrete pads. Once spotted our two dogs calmly basking in the sun with a big one...like they were old acquaintances.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Serious questions about your fake lawn, do you miss the oxygen and does it make your home hotter? I love the idea of never mowing the lawn again but ; ; ; ;?
"Serious question"... really?

Okay... serious answer for you; no, and no. Seriously.

I bought the battery powered mower (again, this was more than twenty years ago) to avoid using any more petroleum products than I had to and, to avoid the racket that two cycle, smoke belching engines create.

The home we bought since then came with the "fake" lawn that covers all of 120 square feet, the rest of the yard is mostly native plantings we put in to conserve water and provide shade, as well as habitat for the wildlife that I enjoy seeing from time to time.

RCF

Life of the Party
Good point re interchangeable batteries. If you go electric, probably best to pick one brand and stay with it. One thing I like about Ryobi from Home Deport is their good return policy and convenient nearby location. I bought the lower-end Ryobi mower first, immediately mowed through some gravelly mole hills, trashed the blade, and brought it back to exchange it for the larger brushless version. The brushless electric motors seem to conserve battery power.

The advice about keeping with one brand of electric tools is a very good one. Batteries are expensive. They are from 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the electric tool package (tool plus battery and charger). Proper usage, maintenance and charging practices are very important for the longevity of the battery.

From what I have read when researching electric chain saws, brushless motors use less electricity i.e. conserve battery power.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Buy extra batteries, buy extra charger if you plan on doing a large area. Like mentioned, pick a brand and stick with it for all your electric tools, and expect the batteries in new models will change in about 5 years, lots of new tech will be coming online in the battery world.
I use a Honda gas mower, they will last 20 years for the average suburban homeowner with very little maintenance.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
If you want a gas mower I recommend a Honda mower. Mine have been purchased from a Honda dealer. The first one lasted 20 years. I am on my second one and am 15 years in. They are mid-priced depending on the features you pick.

I have wondered about battery-powered. When my Honda mower dies, there will be no more gas-powered ones...
What started happening to your mower that you needed to replace it? Just curious. I have been pleasantly surprised with a John Deer walk-behind mower that I bought in 1995. It still appears to be going strong and the only issue is I've noticed over the past several years is oil fouling/carbon build up on the spark plug. It usually starts on the 1st or second pull.