It's Only A Matter Of Time

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Before our "Electric Motors Only" regulation gets rewritten.
I saw this on a BC site and along with many others that commented have no idea what size of motor this refers to.
1711200987691.png
I guess it's time to do some calculating.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Basically it’s 10 horsepower (746 watts = 1 hp) which seems huge for an electric trolling motor.

Converting to an equivalent lbs thrust is a more complex calculation.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Basically it’s 10 horsepower (746 watts = 1 hp) which seems huge for an electric trolling motor.

Converting to an equivalent lbs thrust is a more complex calculation.
With the advent of electric outboards I figured that it equated to <10hp but it would be nice if they added an either/or while in its infancy.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
With the advent of electric outboards I figured that it equated to <10hp but it would be nice if they added an either/or while in its infancy.
To get an equivalent lb thrust number we need to know the top speed of the boat. So then we have force x distance (=energy) divided by time (=power).

I found a calculator on the web and put in a few numbers to see what it looked like.

A 30# motor moving a boat at 5mph was .4 hp. Which seems in the ballpark of what I’d expect.

(I’m not sure what top speed I could get with my 30# motor on my pram, would be fun to try to check it with a gps sometime)

Then I tried 120# thrust moving a boat 20 mph and it said that was 6.4 hp.

What’s the biggest electric trolling motor (lbs thrust) out there?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I saw a 3hp electric trolling motor, 36v battery.
Setup was around 1800 bucks for motor and battery the guy said.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To get an equivalent lb thrust number we need to know the top speed of the boat. So then we have force x distance (=energy) divided by time (=power).

I found a calculator on the web and put in a few numbers to see what it looked like.

A 30# motor moving a boat at 5mph was .4 hp. Which seems in the ballpark of what I’d expect.

(I’m not sure what top speed I could get with my 30# motor on my pram, would be fun to try to check it with a gps sometime)

Then I tried 120# thrust moving a boat 20 mph and it said that was 6.4 hp.

What’s the biggest electric trolling motor (lbs thrust) out there?

I saw a guy at coldwtr lake with a motor called a torquedo. I don't know what the horsepower was but it moved his little boat like a gas motor dinghy. This was a decade ago and I can only imagine the technology is better. He was pretty much on plane. His battery bank was extensive.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
See Horsepower calc below from Minn Kota and Minn Kota published Voltage/Amp Draw data.

1711212136299.png

1711212292398.png