It finally happened, almost

I've been at it really hard this winter for steelhead. It's my first winter, following fishing last summer on the Deschutes quite a bit. Never had a tug except an occasional trout. I tried gear fishing for a couple years too, never caught a steelhead.

Saturday was low and clear on my favorite coastal river. There was no one around. I have a new raft (thanks Larry, it kicks ass!), I was the only one to launch a boat. I got to a run I couldn't fish on foot in trips past, started working my way down. I thought it was too shallow, or too clear, I could see the cobble all the way to the other side, but it was the right type of water. I was there to fish, might as well give it a try.

10 minutes in, I felt a bump. My heart raced, but alas, no fish. I kept swinging and stepping. I had some confidence, my casts were feeling good, I was in the groove. 5 minutes later, it all got heavy, the drag was peeling so fast! It stopped and I started to reel, finally some bend in the rod! He came to the surface with a big splash, then it went a bit loose. I thought he was gone, but he was coming right at me. The tension came back and I fought him another minute or two. I was yelling out loud (to myself), heart pounding, my gut in knots. I think I could have cried. I got it within a rod length or so, in about a foot of water. I could see him, perfectly chrome. Just laying on the bottom.

That's when I made my fatal mistake. I pinched the fly line against the rod. I thought it was done. I got greedy. He had one more run. Before my brain could register through the excitement, he bolted, my finger couldn't release fast enough. Snap went the tippet and my first Steelie back to his lay on the far side. He took a my new favorite fly with him 😂

This winter I've fished at least 12 days if not 15. So many hours, soooo many casts, and absolutely 0 feedback until now. I've read books, talked to people, asked questions, watched countless videos, consumed everything, trying to teach myself... Finally, I fought a steelhead swinging a fly. It's the only skill I've learned where there's no progressive feedback, you don't know if you're doing it right until it happens.

I wish I hadn't screwed up right at the end. That's a real bummer. But it's a huge win for me nonetheless.

Thanks for reading my story. I needed to share with folks who might understand.
Is it Saturday yet?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Congrats! I would call that caught. I know it is less satisfying this way but you will get more and get pics and stuff as time goes on. You will also get better at reading the fish and when to tail it. It’s really hard to safely get a good pic of a steelhead by yourself. So as long as that fly is barbless, you just did a perfect steelhead release. If it’s in the shallows on its side and you go to tail it, I’d call it caught.

Congrats! I would call that caught. I know it is less satisfying this way but you will get more and get pics and stuff as time goes on. You will also get better at reading the fish and when to tail it. It’s really hard to safely get a good pic of a steelhead by yourself. So as long as that fly is barbless, you just did a perfect steelhead release. If it’s in the shallows on its side and you go to tail it, I’d call it caught.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm gonna touch the next one though, I have to 🙂

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
I've been at it really hard this winter for steelhead. It's my first winter, following fishing last summer on the Deschutes quite a bit. Never had a tug except an occasional trout. I tried gear fishing for a couple years too, never caught a steelhead.

Saturday was low and clear on my favorite coastal river. There was no one around. I have a new raft (thanks Larry, it kicks ass!), I was the only one to launch a boat. I got to a run I couldn't fish on foot in trips past, started working my way down. I thought it was too shallow, or too clear, I could see the cobble all the way to the other side, but it was the right type of water. I was there to fish, might as well give it a try.

10 minutes in, I felt a bump. My heart raced, but alas, no fish. I kept swinging and stepping. I had some confidence, my casts were feeling good, I was in the groove. 5 minutes later, it all got heavy, the drag was peeling so fast! It stopped and I started to reel, finally some bend in the rod! He came to the surface with a big splash, then it went a bit loose. I thought he was gone, but he was coming right at me. The tension came back and I fought him another minute or two. I was yelling out loud (to myself), heart pounding, my gut in knots. I think I could have cried. I got it within a rod length or so, in about a foot of water. I could see him, perfectly chrome. Just laying on the bottom.

That's when I made my fatal mistake. I pinched the fly line against the rod. I thought it was done. I got greedy. He had one more run. Before my brain could register through the excitement, he bolted, my finger couldn't release fast enough. Snap went the tippet and my first Steelie back to his lay on the far side. He took a my new favorite fly with him 😂

This winter I've fished at least 12 days if not 15. So many hours, soooo many casts, and absolutely 0 feedback until now. I've read books, talked to people, asked questions, watched countless videos, consumed everything, trying to teach myself... Finally, I fought a steelhead swinging a fly. It's the only skill I've learned where there's no progressive feedback, you don't know if you're doing it right until it happens.

I wish I hadn't screwed up right at the end. That's a real bummer. But it's a huge win for me nonetheless.

Is it Saturday yet?
Well done! Congratulations on your first swung winter steelhead.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
well done, now you've got the heavy lifting out of the way, learning and working until that first solid hookup, only going to get better.
First time I fished steelhead on a three day Big D float, I kept 'trout' lifting on the tug until the guide yelled 'keep your hand off the line and don't do a damn thing until that reel starts spinning'.
salmon and steelhead - the tug is the drug

well done, now you've got the heavy lifting out of the way, learning and working until that first solid hookup, only going to get better.
First time I fished steelhead on a three day Big D float, I kept 'trout' lifting on the tug until the guide yelled 'keep your hand off the line and don't do a damn thing until that reel starts spinning'.
salmon and steelhead - the tug is the drug
I hope there are many more, casting with anticipation rather than wonder

RCF

Life of the Party
I hope there are many more, casting with anticipation rather than wonder

The wondering will continue. Wondering how to improve setting the hook, wondering how to play them better,, wondering how to getting them closer etc.

@SurfnFish gave a nice clue for one of them. Even when you think you got it figured out that is when find out there is much more to learn. Part of the fun of fly fishing...

Last edited:

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead

Is it Saturday yet?
Congratulations and well done!

I've been at the OP steelhead game since 2011, gear and swung fly. I've had plenty of failures and just enough success to keep me coming back.

You chose the river and run to fish, you floated the river to that run, you picked the sink tip and fly for the run, you made the casts, you made the presentation, you got a grab, you hooked up, and you played a steelhead to close in! An accomplishment that you can build on and draw confidence from for your future trips!

You may find over the years that this steelhead will be more memorable to you than the ones that come to hand...

RCF

Life of the Party
<snip>

You may find over the years that this steelhead will be more memorable to you than the ones that come to hand...

Nailed it! BINGO!!!!

Truly Right On! I could not of said it better! My first steelhead was on the Dose in the '60's. Total shock! Great dinner that night too... Ahh the memories...

Even though I quit steelhead fishing in the late '90's I have had a couple of times that were very memorable since. Last summer I was fishing a lake I know very well. Just caught 4 trout in the 18" to 20" class of fish. As I was letting out my sinktip for the next one, I felt a huge take. Before I could say ' big o' it broke my 6# tippet. Wondering is IMHO the epitome of great memories. As @Grandpa Jim said more memorable than coming to hand - wondering what if/was is IMHO embeds truly relished memories...

Enjoy those memories! Will be lived many times more...

Congratulations and well done!

I've been at the OP steelhead game since 2011, gear and swung fly. I've had plenty of failures and just enough success to keep me coming back.

You chose the river and run to fish, you floated the river to that run, you picked the sink tip and fly for the run, you made the casts, you made the presentation, you got a grab, you hooked up, and you played a steelhead to close in! An accomplishment that you can build on and draw confidence from for your future trips!

Thank you for the validation and encouragement!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Is it Saturday yet?

When you think it's over try to get the fish between you and the bank. This is assuming you are fishing a bar. It limits escape, keeps the fish wet, and gives you a second to turn if it runs. The one bad thing that can happen is it can go between your legs if you aren't careful. That can be interesting.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Two suggestions:
1. Don't act or feel like catching a steelhead is such a big fvcking deal. It will help you keep your cool so that you're less likely to make foolish mistakes.
2. Don't pinch the line against the rod grip. Pinch it between your thumb and first two fingers for instant tension adjustability.

3. Sometimes fish come unhooked even when you do everything right. Which is different than snapping a tippet. Use 10# Maxima; it's pretty much idiot proof.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Awesome job! When I'm trying to tail a large fish, I'll gather a loop of 5-6ft of line right at the end. This way I can give myself instant slack when I get my hand on it and can also drop that loop if they make one more push.