Intel on the Henry's Fork (from my e-book)

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A few years ago I got to reminisce with my friend Dave Schultz. 25 years had slipped away since we last saw each other in West Yellowstone. I’d been to Yellowstone Park to work on the huge forest fires in 1988 but hadn’t returned and hadn’t kept in touch. Dave, commonly known as “Dutch”, is a long-term fixture on the Henry’s Fork. He used to live in a tipi near Island Park every summer then return to Steamboat Springs to ski bum and woodwork in the winter. The wooden fly boxes he meticulously fashions during the winter can be admired and purchased at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone.

Come to think of it not much has changed in Dave’s annual migration except for his accommodations.

We had a quarter of a century of stories to exchange including the one below.

Dave told of meeting an exceptionally nice fellow named Gordon at a dinner held at Nelson Ishimura’s swanky place. The next day Dave accompanied Gordon as he got a new fishing license at Last Chance. This was the era when computer issued licenses first came to Idaho. Gordon was impressed with the speed at which the transaction progressed and told the young man issuing the license as much. The kid, with that supercilious attitude best expressed by waiters and twenties-something fly shop rats informed Gordon, “It’s the computer age now.”

Thus Gordon Moore, Intel co-founder, the man who posited Moore's Law, which stipulated that the processing power that could be placed on a single microchip would double every 18 to 24 months, came to purchase his non-resident Idaho fishing license.