SFR In search of decent cargo shorts

Sorta fishing-related

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It’s not as easy as before….. been waiting to see if Costco would drop some on a table but not ones I care for so far..

So..

-Looking for longer in seam length 9-12”
-Multiple pockets and useable pockets (not phone and small electronic type pockets) zippers on a couple pockets preferred. Need to be able to carry small tools at times.
- Stretch in waist (very important). I prefer elastic waist or a solid waist adjustment build… not a fan of Velcro. Shorts sized S-M-L-XL as opposed to fitted waist. I’m in that 34”-36” depending on mfg’er idea of waist sizes. Someone’s 34” is a 32” to some other company ????
- comfortable 😆
- sensible colors… blue/green/black/tan. No creamy peach, fire red, melon, or sky blue. Not looking for Tommy Bahama shorts 😉

Every day use type cargo shorts.

I’ve been to REI, Northface, Backcountry, and a couple others. Not a fan of shopping Amazon. They do have a lot on the site but I’m a see and touch shopper but getting a tad desperate. My last pair of cargo shorts has let me know it’s time 😆 (tend to wear until it’s obvious and somewhat embarrassing).

Thanks

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lee Extreme Motion
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was on Sierra and they had a ton of cargo pants and shorts. There was a bunch of carhartt stuff.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
My last pair of cargo shorts has let me know it’s time 😆 (tend to wear until it’s obvious and somewhat embarrassing)
When I needed to replace my old worn out GI OGs shorts, along with my Carhart cargo shorts due to OMB (old man butt) syndrome near the end of last summer, I found stretch "Wrangler Riggs Cargo shorts" and Ariat "Rebar DuraStretch Made Tough 11"" (camo; very close to MARPAT) shorts one (fitted) size smaller fit well. Both were on sale (+ 10% Vet discount) at a Wilco Farm Store.
-Looking for longer in seam length 9-12”
I didn't notice until I'd worn them awhile that the Riggs just below the knee 11" length feels kind of annoying - they offer no real knee protection, and I'd rather not have the friction against the knees when walking. I may ask my wife to hem them up about 1.5".
-Multiple pockets and useable pockets (not phone and small electronic type pockets) zippers on a couple pockets preferred.
While they all have bellows cargo pockets centered over the thigh seams that won't cause discomfort from their contents when seated with secure flap closures 👍, none of them (incl Carhart) have outer pockets on the cargo pockets that a modern 6" cell will fit into :(.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Duluth Trading Co, excellent cargo pants and shorts in different fabric weights, both currently on sale, shorts available 11" to 13" inseam
This ^ 100%

Their 'Firehose Flex' cargo shorts are extremely comfortable, rugged,, and come a variety of cargo pocket configurations and inseams. Best cargo shorts and pants I've ever owned. I wear cargo shorts at least half the year. Had most brands. Carhartts do not compare, and outdoor recreational cargo shorts like REI, Prana, NRS tend to be flimsy, insufficient pockets, ridiculously small belt loops, and that stupid net fabric inside the pockets that wears out in no time if actually used.

IMHO Carhartt has become, like so many other brands once favored by people who need durable work clothing, just another 'fashion brand'.

Once I find something I really like I tend to buy multiple...because I know that some SOB of a bean-counter or acquisition firm CEO will be discontinuing or reducing product quality/features as they rapidly 'spend down' the hard-earned customer goodwill that took years to build.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
This ^ 100%

Their 'Firehose Flex' cargo shorts are extremely comfortable, rugged,, and come a variety of cargo pocket configurations and inseams. Best cargo shorts and pants I've ever owned. I wear cargo shorts at least half the year. Had most brands. Carhartts do not compare, and outdoor recreational cargo shorts like REI, Prana, NRS tend to be flimsy, insufficient pockets, ridiculously small belt loops, and that stupid net fabric inside the pockets that wears out in no time if actually used.

IMHO Carhartt has become, like so many other brands once favored by people who need durable work clothing, just another 'fashion brand'.

Once I find something I really like I tend to buy multiple...because I know that some SOB of a bean-counter or acquisition firm CEO will be discontinuing or reducing product quality/features as they rapidly 'spend down' the hard-earned customer goodwill that took years to build.
x2..pretty much live in Duluth pants and shorts. Fan of their cargo pants/shorts for the comfort, durability and discreet pocket carry, have a pair of their 'Dry on the Fly' cargo pants on the way. Thing about quality, it usually means better materials and seams= more comfortable wear.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Goodwill/thrift stores quite often have Costco brand, Woolrich and Savane shorts. Never had to pay more than $7 for a pair. At times, they're brand new!
Got a buttload of them. ;)

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Better stock up on those 'Fuddy Duddy' shorts while you can.
This is where the length appears to be headed if you want to be 'in'.:giggle:
1712871278969.png

(BigDave)

Smolt
There is a Army Navy store in DT Seattle on First Ave, North of the market. They sell these bombproof black shorts. I have like 5 pairs after blowing through the so called shorts at Cabelas.

Reactions: Zak

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
With an inseam of 11 to 13", are they really "shorts?" I always enjoyed shorts that had a 3" inseam. Until Mrs. Salmo pointed out that as I've aged, I hang a bit too loose and am required to wear a 6" inseam in public.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Probably the best buy out there.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well when majority of my underwear are 9” ex officio it helps to have shorts cover them up. 😉

But as old406kid pointed out the trend is to go shorter.

Thanks above. I had forgotten about Duluth. And Kittery for that matter.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I enjoy Exofficio shorts, cargo pants/shorts as well as shirts. Lightweight, dry quickly, cool in hot weather, and last a long time. Some of mine are over 15 years old.

Do not have all the features but have a number of them...

Last edited: