Identify This Vise

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Given to me by an old timer about 16-17 years ago maybe (in New England…sometimes location matters). Sat in a drawer until I started tying for real about 4 years ago, then I used it for about a year. I assume it is some type of generic regal knock-off. It does have a marking on the base.

Asking because I have a 3rd vise one the way so probably don’t need this as an emergency backup. If it’s a cool, vintage item I’ll likely keep it to decorate my fly tying area. If it is what I think it is - a generic, though solidly built vise, I’ll probably give it away. Preferably to someone who is looking to get into tying but does not want to shell out the $$ upfront for a vise.

FA3FC7F9-32B9-45C3-921B-82E5BCA3A6D6.jpeg

B018D61B-2E24-4014-BAA5-29DA41DBD3BF.jpeg

Reactions: Zak

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I’d say Crown, too, except for the base….I had a C clamp.

It would be a nice gift for someone new to tying. I used it for years until I messed up the jaw tips for small trout flies by misplacing a few steelhead hooks.

I happened to pick mine up for about $20 at the Omak North 40 about 10 years ago. Last I saw they were about $70 on line.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah a Regal design knock off Crown. Adapted to a pedestal base. I have a Regal that i bought in the mid 80’s and soon got tired of the clamp and made my own pedestal base from a 1/2” sheet scrap of copper and some other adaptations.