Non-Fly I need a spinning rod that'll do it all!

atomic dog

Steelhead
Well, not all, but a couple things at least.

My Dad likes to beach fish for surf perch around Westport and I'd like to get a spinning setup to join him. I would love it if this setup was versatile enough to use for more than that, though, if it's feasible. Specifically, I would like to be able to fish for steelhead and/or salmon here around the Tri-Cities. Not sure where, but probably Ringold, the Snake if I can find places, and tribs like the Walla Walla.

I have zero knowledge about either of these types of fishing, so I don't know if the gear is cross-compatible or not. My Dad says that he bottom fishes with 1.5-2oz weight from the beach, that's about all I know.

From the little reading I've done, it seems like something in the 9-10' range might be good. The couple videos I watched covering drifting bobbers for steelhead used ~8-12# rated rods. Plunking appears to require a whole lot more weight, so might not be a viable technique with this setup. An article about surf perch fishing said something in the 15-30# range.

Obviously, everything is going to be a compromise, but is there something that sort of overlaps these two requirements? I'm looking to to this somewhat inexpensively, as it isn't going to get used a ton. Maybe something on the level of an Okuma Celilo or similar would be the sweet spot. Looking at a spinning setup so that my wife and others not comfortable with a baitcaster could also use it.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shakespeare has many options. I actually like a lot of their rods for conventional fishing and usually reasonable priced. I find spin reels easier to use over baitcasters . But man I have no idea what’s out there decent and cheap these days. I’m from the Garcia 300 all metal reel era and 8’6” eagle claw/fenwick glass rod era. But I went to a pony wagon show and got sold on on some funky snake oil that led me to fly rods in 8+’ to 10’ lengths and in different weights and I’m a rod junkie self admitted, actually I’m a two time junkie because they same disease affected my reel perception.
Let’s no focus on me but you. There’s a lot of serviceable rods and reels you describe out there for a small amount meaning under 100.

Did I tell you about my switch rods? 😆

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Something like a Lamiglas Certified Pro X96JS would fit the bill and could be used for a number of fishing situations. You can probably find used one that someone has laying around. Rated for 6-15 lb test.
I used mine for salmon, steelhead etc over the years…..
SF

Check into the Okuma sst line. They may have a med heavy(10-20lb) that can cover both. Throwing 1.5oz on a rod only rated for 3/4oz isn’t really an issue. Just may not want to really lean into it. And fishing 8lb leaders on the same rod is more than doable, just use the drag on your reel and take it easy once again.

atomic dog

Steelhead
Okuma is high on the list so far. Interestingly, there is an Oregon guy on YouTube who does a bunch of surf perch videos from the beaches. He speaks highly of an Okuma Celilo 9'6" rod. It's only rated 6-12lb line and 1/2 oz, but he says it throws up to 2oz fine as long as you go easy on the casting as you said.

celilo.jpg

I'm trying to get my hands on one of these, and probably one of the heavier models to see how they feel in real life. I'm a big fan of my Celilo ultralight spinning setup.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
IMG_6347.jpeg
I’m sure there are situations when 2oz would be helpful but we’ve found plenty of fish with 3/4 or 1oz pancake weights. Steelhead gear works fine. Shimano/daiwa reels, braid, whatever rod is on sale, 9.5’ or 10’ is nice for bobber n’ jig if that’s part of it.

Russell

Steelhead
I have a couple celilo’s that I normally lend to people with me I grabbed a 8’6” casting and spinning rod when Walmart had them for $25.
They are pretty decent rods for the money. Also have the sst 9’ spinning rod and it is nice but 2 oz seems heavy for it.
Might want to look at the shimano rods. The Clarus and convergence are pretty nice rods for the money.

atomic dog

Steelhead
I have a couple celilo’s that I normally lend to people with me I grabbed a 8’6” casting and spinning rod when Walmart had them for $25.
They are pretty decent rods for the money. Also have the sst 9’ spinning rod and it is nice but 2 oz seems heavy for it.
Might want to look at the shimano rods. The Clarus and convergence are pretty nice rods for the money.
Now that you bring it up, I have a Clarus rod for bass fishing that I like as well. I will see what sort of offerings they have in the 9-10' range.

Chonay

Smolt
Forum Supporter
okuma SST is an amazing rod for the money! a little more expensive than celilo but i think alot better quality

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Pretty much anything will work for surf perch, as long as you can get a bit of weight out there with some gulp. I'd focus your search on something suitable for steelhead/salmon, and whatever you get would be just fine for surf perch. I use my 10'6" 6-12 steelhead bobber rod whenever I go surf perch fishing. It throws a 1oz weight just fine.

atomic dog

Steelhead
So, I was out and about yesterday and a 9'6" Okuma Celilo ML spinning rod followed me home.

Now all of a sudden, I'm sitting here working dilligently trying to learn when/where/how to bank fish for steelhead around the Tri-Cities. This is a rabbit hole I wasn't prepared for.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, I was out and about yesterday and a 9'6" Okuma Celilo ML spinning rod followed me home.

Now all of a sudden, I'm sitting here working dilligently trying to learn when/where/how to bank fish for steelhead around the Tri-Cities. This is a rabbit hole I wasn't prepared for.
Great choice!