I fished Quincy Lake on Sunday

dep

Steelhead
went to Lenice and there was no one in the parking lot. not wanting to risk a break in, I changed plans. first choice was Rocky, but I wanted to fish out of my boat, so I decided to go to Quincy. people were camping along the shoreline, but there were only 3 to 4 vessels on the water - 1/2 of them being people just enjoying the weather and not fishing.
not knowing the lake very well, I chose to work the shorelines while checking the contours with my depth finder.
the lake is not big and I got close to the other end but that end of the lake seemed more stagnant, so I turned around. saw one guy on shore catching fish on the bottom, probably power bait as I saw some floating at times. I finally got my first hit in 20 feet of water on a dark bugger. 12 inch stocker. then caught a dink and then another 12 incher.
I found that I could just troll and concentrate on getting my intermediate lines deeper.
the next fish hammered my fly and went airborne. it ended up being a solid 17 incher and fat (not fat like Rex's fish though). another fat 15 incher attacked my bugger and then I got a solid 14 incher. theses fish fought hard and I was pleased I made the decision to fish this lake.
beautiful day to be on the water, and catching fish was a bonus.
I'll see if I can post pictures.

dp

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
Excellent report dp.
Love to hear Quincy is fishing is well.
Question, did you have time to setup and fish Chironomids?
Indicator fishing on Quincy can be excellent this time of year.

Last edited:

dep

Steelhead
never chiro fished, I kept moving.
definitely chunks of power bait in the water at times. I almost dressed my fly with some of it.
I used to fish these lakes when I was a kid from the bank with my uncle and aunt. back in the day it was Pauskie eggs and the green mini marshmellows from the mixed marshmellow bag. they did not have scented mellows or powerbait back then.