Hunting pictures

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Any insights you could share would be great, maybe a thread 'solo' duck hunting tips. I have wanted to get into duck hunting for a long time but there just seems to be a lot of barriers on getting started. Especially doing it solo, without a dog, and the private land/ club barriers. I'm in western Washington county so there's a lot of private lands.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Any insights you could share would be great, maybe a thread 'solo' duck hunting tips. I have wanted to get into duck hunting for a long time but there just seems to be a lot of barriers on getting started. Especially doing it solo, without a dog, and the private land/ club barriers. I'm in western Washington county so there's a lot of private lands.
Well…. Ok, I’ll try.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Well…. Ok, I’ll try.
This is only my second year of waterfowl hunting. I’ve been able to get 16 days in so far this year. All public land solo hunting with no dog. Water is always knee deep or less.

Here are a few things to consider getting into it that I have found.

Initially it’s expensive! It’s a lot of gear!
You’ll need decoys, waders, a rain jacket, and I bring a solo blind I brush up. You’ll need calls (and figure out how to use them)! You will also need a way to transport all this stuff via backpack, dolly or a sled or all three. Then you’ll need to do reaserch and find somewhere to go.

The rest is time in the field and observation. I learn something every time I’m out.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
This is only my second year of waterfowl hunting. I’ve been able to get 16 days in so far this year. All public land solo hunting with no dog. Water is always knee deep or less.

You’ll need decoys, waders, a rain jacket, and I bring a solo blind I brush up. You’ll need calls (and figure out how to use them)! You will also need a way to transport all this stuff via backpack, dolly or a sled or all three. Then you’ll need to do reaserch and find somewhere to go.

The rest is time in the field and observation. I learn something every time I’m out.
The only thing I don't have would be decoys and calls and a sled/cart. The rest I could piece together. I have a kayak I could modify with camo.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Hunting season has been open for four months and not a single story or photo? What’s up?

Replicant

Steelhead
She turns one in a couple weeks. I couldn’t be more proud. I’ve done most of my hunting out of state for the last decade or so. This is my first season hunting upland in Washington since I was a kid. It’s hard. Some days I see so few birds. Today was a 24,000 steps day (for the human), with plenty of rain in the morning. My late season expectations were low. But this little dog seems to always know where to find them.

IMG_1278.jpeg

Uptonogood

PNW raised
She turns one in a couple weeks. I couldn’t be more proud. I’ve done most of my hunting out of state for the last decade or so. This is my first season hunting upland in Washington since I was a kid. It’s hard. Some days I see so few birds. Today was a 24,000 steps day (for the human), with plenty of rain in the morning. My late season expectations were low. But this little dog seems to always know where to find them.

View attachment 97920
I see you are shooting a 20ga, well done!

BigSky_ 2

Smolt
Forum Supporter
First Bull/Last Bull with many others in between taken with a bow. Elk hunted solo for a dozen years in SW MT, the biggest of thrills... calling in an irate fired up bull ready to reclaim territory. Physically too demanding hunting solo so gave it up in the early 90's then took up chasing steelhead, a thrill but no comparison to wapiti. These days C&R browns and bows, hope FWP solves the problem with declining numbers of trout in SW MT rivers.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 25

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

What's your favorite way to cook them?
With the nice puddle ducks you're getting I always loved making duck teriyaki. Cut the meat in strips, make a good teriyaki sauce (or your favorite store bought like Toshi's), add some sriracha sauce and soak those things for 2 days. Then cook on a grill or, my favorite way... your oldest, nastiest cast iron. It will be the best teriyaki you've ever had. Especially if eaten in a cold winter camp.

I know it sucks to miss good birds, but your shooting must be good enough! ;)

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
What's your favorite way to cook them?
With the nice puddle ducks you're getting I always loved making duck teriyaki. Cut the meat in strips, make a good teriyaki sauce (or your favorite store bought like Toshi's), add some sriracha sauce and soak those things for 2 days. Then cook on a grill or, my favorite way... your oldest, nastiest cast iron. It will be the best teriyaki you've ever had. Especially if eaten in a cold winter camp.

I know it sucks to miss good birds, but your shooting must be good enough! ;)
Thanks!

I like to sear the breasts with skin on in a cast iron with salt pepper and garlic, then I slice them into medallions to use in a salad of spring mix with veggies and a vinaigrette. I’ve also made a ton of jerky!

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
The few I’ve ever harvested some went to sliders. 3 part duck to 1 part bacon, chilled and ground. Patties formed, grilled, on small buns, thin onion slice, cheese, mustard of your choice…

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks!

I like to sear the breasts with skin on in a cast iron with salt pepper and garlic, then I slice them into medallions to use in a salad of spring mix with veggies and a vinaigrette. I’ve also made a ton of jerky!
That sounds good. I cook duck breasts in two ways. First is a marinade that we use for steak, consisting of 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup lemon, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and seasoning (we use Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning). Marinade for 2 to 3 hours. Cook on a hot grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the duck. Rest and slice. While the duck is cooking, reduce the marinade and add a small amount of corn starch to thicken. Serve over the sliced duck. The second way is sautéed sliced thin (I slice while it is still partially frozen if it is not fresh) with sliced onion and add an orange-ginger sauce that we have found (Iron Chef) at a grocery store in Bothell when visiting family or online. Serve over rice. I also make jerky, but not as much as I used to.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
That sounds good. I cook duck breasts in two ways. First is a marinade that we use for steak, consisting of 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup lemon, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and seasoning (we use Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning). Marinade for 2 to 3 hours. Cook on a hot grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the duck. Rest and slice. While the duck is cooking, reduce the marinade and add a small amount of corn starch to thicken. Serve over the sliced duck. The second way is sautéed sliced thin (I slice while it is still partially frozen if it is not fresh) with sliced onion and add an orange-ginger sauce that we have found (Iron Chef) at a grocery store in Bothell when visiting family or online. Serve over rice. I also make jerky, but not as much as I used to.
I’m going to have to give that a go, sounds delicious! I’m always up for new ways to cook game. I’ve been lucky enough to harvest 59 ducks and 2 goose so far this season. I still have a bunch I haven’t made into jerky so thanks for the recipe!

Replicant

Steelhead
Same dog, different birds. 4 Valley/Cali quail. Two on a double. Short day. We waited till the temperature got up to the double digits. Beautiful day and good dog work from Vesper. Saw a big covey of Huns too. That’s it for the season. Unless I can figure out the Chukar thing in the next two weeks.

IMG_1328.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Same dog, different birds. 4 Valley/Cali quail. Two on a double. Short day. We waited till the temperature got up to the double digits. Beautiful day and good dog work from Vesper. Saw a big covey of Huns too. That’s it for the season. Unless I can figure out the Chukar thing in the next two weeks.

View attachment 99565
View attachment 99566
I remember those days…never again!