How many steelhead flies do you really need?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just did a summer steelhead fly reorg. Haha! Out of all these, 80 made it into my old faithful Perrine #95 box. 80 should be enough considering I'll probably only fish 3 or 4 all fall. šŸ˜

Got your top-water section, white wings, orange wings, hair wings, dark wings, red (if you know, you know), some blues, some purples (including the infamous egg-sucking leech), a few Popsicles because...well, duh. And 2 big black & green for the random school of kings. Which one will get tried 1st....:unsure:

20230906_125401.jpg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dry flies go through 1st.

Nice ties!
I agree about dries first. If it's 1st light and I know I'm the 1st one through, I'll go with a Steelhead Caddis, Bomber or one of Todd Hirano's Lil Wangs.
Then hit it again with a hair wing wet like Bennett's Last Light or an Evening Coachman. Later in the morning I stick to the tried and true like Green Butt Skunk or a Mack's Canyon.

I only tied about half of these. You can probably guess which half. Haha!

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Spade (black and black/orange), Muddler (brown and purple), and some kind of more impressionistic october caddis pupae, all on heavy irons. Then a couple hundred other flies back in the car.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
To answer the original question "how many steelhead flies do you need".... one more.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've gone fishing with as few as one fly, but that was an accident. Sometimes I fish for days with a single fly. Other days I break sunk flies off on snags, or occasionally I break a hook or otherwise mess up a fly when my backcast or D-loop dropped too low. With loss or breakage as an ever present risk when fishing, it's good practice for me to bring along a few extras.

It will be a cold day in Hell when I go through a run 3 times with 3 different fly patterns. Neither my confidence nor self respect ever drop that low. If I fish through once with a dry fly (skater), it's because I'd like to hook a fish on top. Therefore it would be counter-productive to go through the run again with a different fly pattern and method. That would sorta' be like if I went through the run first with a dry fly and didn't hook up, deciding to go through the pool again with dynamite and see if that works any better.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've gone fishing with as few as one fly, but that was an accident. Sometimes I fish for days with a single fly. Other days I break sunk flies off on snags, or occasionally I break a hook or otherwise mess up a fly when my backcast or D-loop dropped too low. With loss or breakage as an ever present risk when fishing, it's good practice for me to bring along a few extras.

It will be a cold day in Hell when I go through a run 3 times with 3 different fly patterns. Neither my confidence nor self respect ever drop that low. If I fish through once with a dry fly (skater), it's because I'd like to hook a fish on top. Therefore it would be counter-productive to go through the run again with a different fly pattern and method. That would sorta' be like if I went through the run first with a dry fly and didn't hook up, deciding to go through the pool again with dynamite and see if that works any better.
Haha! I did not mean I hit a run 3 times. Twice, max.

Your logic escalates quickly! "Once more with a classic wet fly or dynamite?" Hmm, let's see. :ROFLMAO:

To even hit it twice it has to be a great run and only if I have the time. Usually that would mean I've walked into a great run or nobody dropped in behind me on a productive roadside run.
If I'm floating it's getting 1 pass. Gotta keep the schedule! BTW, no dynamite onboard. ;)