How do you handle keys when shuttling your vehicle?

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just bought a new Tacoma and am debating the best way to deal with the key when leaving my truck for a shuttle driver. The most secure option I can think of is a lock box, similar to those used be real estate folks. I'm not too hot on simply hiding the key (under the gas cap, on top of a tire, in a hide-a-key magnetic box...).

My old Escape had a number pad on the outside of the driver's door that allowed entry without a key. (Evidently Ford is the only manufacturer that offers this.) This was really useful when I was wing foiling or wearing lots of layers under my waders. I didn't have to worry about digging out my key (or even carrying it).

The wing foiling scenario seems a bit simpler - make a non-chipped key to wear around my neck and lock the (expensive) chipped key in the truck. Unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue for shuttling.

How do you to handle this?

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Can't you leave the spare fob with the shuttle service before dropping it? I've got a tonneau cover on my Tacoma and just have them lock the tailgate and toss the fob in the bed before closing the tonneau. Either keep the actual key that opens the tailgate or use the other fob to open the cab and unlock the tailgate. You can easily install a factory tailgate lock if you don't have one.

Additionally, the fob can be 'turned off' so I leave one hidden inside my cab at all times and have the actual key well hidden under the truck. That way if I lose my fob or key while out on an adventure I can still get in and activate the hidden fob.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use a Faraday Box with magnets on it for the shuttle pick up. On the form, I instruct them to return the key to the box and lock it in the truck.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
When need arises (example: on surf trips when you want to leave the rental car as you head out for a surfI) I have sometime used a real estate lock box and locked it through the hole in the trailer hitch or onto some other sturdy component of the car. YMMV

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I never actually cross paths with the shuttle driver, so handing them the spare key isn't practical. A hide-a-key or a lockbox seem to be the only real options.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I also have a tacoma. I don't have an issue leaving the key under the mat, or in the gas door as I have a console vault safe dropped into the area between the seats. There are several manufacturers (mine is LockrDown). It has a combination lock and I put my valuables (such as they are) in the vault and spin the dial. I don't leave fishing equipment, or any other easy steal items in the truck so I don't have a problem if some jerkoff wants to steal my roll of toilet paper.

FWIW, in 50+ years of fly fishing and leaving various vehicles for a shuttle I have never had one stolen, or rifled through

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I also have a tacoma. I don't have an issue leaving the key under the mat, or in the gas door as I have a console vault safe dropped into the area between the seats. There are several manufacturers (mine is LockrDown). It has a combination lock and I put my valuables (such as they are) in the vault and spin the dial. I don't leave fishing equipment, or any other easy steal items in the truck so I don't have a problem if some jerkoff wants to steal my roll of toilet paper.

FWIW, in 50+ years of fly fishing and leaving various vehicles for a shuttle I have never had one stolen, or rifled through
But where do you fish?

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@DFG ,

Not sure if your talking a trailer shuttle or just a vehicle. I put a combo lock box on the trailer frame. Just give the shuttle the combo. Key and money fit inside.

Good luck.

Not a computer guy. Its the Masterlock Model 5401D Set.

Bob

kmudgn

Steelhead
But where do you fish?
I generally fish all over the North East and have driven my Truck out to MT/WY/ID/NY & NC. In particular, I often fish in Northen Maine (remote/rural) and have never had a problem. Yes, you could use a small sledge and attack the vault, but I simply don't worry about it