Hook sets are NOT free.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Was out this evening fishing for bulls with my 8 weight. Thought I felt a grab (it was a rock), strip set the hook hard, and simultaneously slipped back raising my rod high and fast and snapped my rod in the butt section just above the stripping guide.

Bummer, I loved this rod. Thankfully I do have a backup with me but I am slightly worried about it’s structural integrity given an incident I had with it a couple years ago.

Question, I remember hearing or reading that you can’t just swap in a new section with certain rods (was it ferruled rods or tip over butt?) is this generally true or not? Mostly asking to see if it’s worth going on a crusade to try and find a new butt section or if I just need to save up for a fancy new glass rod (Ive been going mostly in the way of glass anyways these days). I bought this one used so no warranty..

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ouch — everything slows way down for a second when a rod breaks. Worse if it’s a special one. Sorry!

My guess is that rods built as single pieces (which are then cut for ferrules) are probably harder to match on repair than rods with integral ‘tip-over’ joints where each section is built on its own mandrel. Having said that, no question that some very high-end ferruled rods get effectively warrantied with new sections. The biggest issue might simply be the volume of the producer. Can you buy a full replacement blank?

One other thought: I wonder if a repair of the broken section might be feasible. I have a couple of new-to-me vintage rods that have ‘sleeve-over’ ferrules, where a 3” long section of oversized graphite has been glued to the blank to form an external ferrule. Everybody decided that internal spigots or integral joints made better rods — but mine still work fairly well with the old style. Maybe a glued sleeve near the stripper would still be functional? A battle scar. Maybe it becomes a 9wt. (And, hey, it won’t make it worse than it is now…)

I’m sure others here have way, way more insight on this than I do. I’d love to learn more about repair possibilities.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Damn, that's a bummer.

Guess you're just gonna have to get yourself another Steffen....maybe 7/8 or 8/9? 😆. I use either my 8'6" Steffen 7/8 or my 7'9" 10wt Epic Bandit for bullies. Both will handle 7-9" bucktail streamers I like to use....Bandit a little better.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Damn, that's a bummer.

Guess you're just gonna have to get yourself another Steffen....maybe 7/8 or 8/9? 😆. I use either my 8'6" Steffen 7/8 or my 7'9" 10wt Epic Bandit for bullies. Both will handle 7-9" bucktail streamers I like to use....Bandit a little better.
Definitely. But it is it what it is. I’m working on not stressing and being bummed about things that have already happened and are out of my control.

The Steffen is high on my list. I’d rather not have to get a new line/reel so it’d be the 7/8 or 8/9. Also thinking about the Barclay 868 or the McFarland Perpetual glass but that’s I think an 8’9” so that might be out.

Good news is my backup held strong this morning and went 2/2 with a couple thick pigs. But boy was it cold out there (and thankfully the smoke cleared a bit).

E92AFBDE-B882-4C36-975A-EBA86D518D9C.jpeg653BC88F-3E67-4B4F-92FA-6B9C61E90C41.jpeg164817AB-F32E-49ED-B09F-1FF2E60E9B09.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Man I love the dark coloring of those inland bulls. Well done!
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If it helps any, I did a very similar thing fishing for bulls. But in my case the "rock" was a foul hooked chum who was very angry about it. Broken rod section was higher up though for me. I guess I should say "is" because I haven't sent it in for repair yet.

Shad

Life of the Party
Hook sets on rocks (and even fish) are often not free. Been there. In my case, it was definitely a rock. The connection at the first ferrule was a little loose, and the torque made short work of the butt section. Kerrrrrrack! Oh, that sounds makes me sick....

I imagine, based on the pics you took using your backup, like you wrangled some great bulls on that rod, so if it is dead, at least it died happy....