Hook keeper poll

Do you want a hook keeper to come standard on your retail rod?

• Yes! I like having a hook keeper on my rod and use it when it is there.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • No way! Hook keepers are pointless. Keep ‘em off my rod.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t really care either way.

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What say you in regard to hook keepers?
(Following on @ABITNF’s thread)

Divad

Whitefish
Fly fishing hook keepers could take a lesson from the conventional crowd. The default, large perpendicular hoop of a fly rod is a little cumbersome. Almost all my gear rods have a downward hookkeeper, streamline with the rod.

The latter wouldn’t hook my running line as easy from time.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I knew the last 4 rods I got did not have hook keepers, but the rods do what they were designed for well, so I got them. If I ever had one built, it would have a keeper.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Somehow it seems like a poll for the swivel/anti-swivel issue should be woven into this! Both are Who Cares? issues.

A more interesting and entertaining poll might be a poll between crotchless panties/thong bikini's.
Polls are easy to start!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was a little surprised by the comment that the anti-hook keeper crowd is louder than the pro-hook keeper crowd and thought, well, maybe we pro-hook keeper folks are just the “silent majority.”

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
a rod guide is the hook keeper. On two fly set-ups such as a chrom rod, I place a small hard foam indicator over the second fly's hook. This approach splits between those who believe hook keepers are for pussies, and those who believe all hooks deserve equal protection. The middle of the road tends to be a much less crowded space these days.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
What do they get in the way of?
I have had them catch my line, and on cigar shaped handles I have had them interfere with my finger.. minor issues but enough to make me not want them. Furthermore I do not understand how they are any kind of benefit . On the first stripper and around the reel is superior in every functional way.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
For me they are a benefit. Since I fish short, level leaders 99% of the time they allow me to keep rods strung up in the boat, and with the fly on the keeper on the bottom of the rod I can grab a rod and the leader junction is already out of the tip, which allows for quickly stripping off line and casting without having to get the leader connection through the guides. A small thing, but when I find a pod or rezzies or spot a nice jumper every second helps. Unfortunately almost all saltwater rods I've owned don't come with a hook keeper so I cruise with rods strung up and the fly stuck in the cork on the fighting butt handle instead.

I've fly fished for over 25 years and can't think of a single instance of a hook keeper getting in my way. Honestly the thought kinda makes me laugh

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I just bought a 4109 Thomas and Thomas Euro nymph rod, which may be the best rod I've ever owned. In addition to nymphing, it speys and overheads extremely well. They only thing I don't like......it has a hook keeper.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This very unscientific investigation indicates to me that, indeed, the majority of respondents actually LIKE hook keepers, a somewhat smaller number don’t care if they’re there or not, and a small minority of apparently very vocal folks do not like hook keepers on their rods.
Rod makers, take note!
(They won’t)