NFR Hockey 23/24 Season

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Nice win for my B's.
Honestly, I was surprised to see them take game #1. I would have guessed FL would have have had a better shot being well rested and at home, plus the Bruins having just fought through a long tough series.

But you know how it is, sometimes "well rested" can equal "rusty and lost focus" in the playoffs. And "long series" can equal "riding high on a classic gm 7 overtime win at home".

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Oilers/Canucks was a heck of a game. Fun playoff hockey.

Less fun if you're an Edmonton fan. But so it goes.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tonight
Boston had about 8 minutes of action in the third period, the rest of the game they sucked.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Lotta ref controversy the past few games. It's a rorschach test watching some of the replay videos. Fans see what they want to see and anyone who can't see it is a moron.

The comment sections in NHL playoff articles have been gold this week.

1715622794852.png

JB20

Smolt
Imagine being Winnipeg right now and finding out a player that scored 7 goals to eliminate you from the playoffs, was doing so loaded on cocaine. 😲
Coke and hockey players have a long history, which has always struck me as weird. I wouldn’t play well if I didn’t eat my pregame sandwich at the exact right time and other guys are like no worries I’ll just rail a couple lines and win the Stanley Cup.

Divad

Whitefish
Coke and hockey players have a long history, which has always struck me as weird. I wouldn’t play well if I didn’t eat my pregame sandwich at the exact right time and other guys are like no worries I’ll just rail a couple lines and win the Stanley Cup.
Given the effects of coke I sort of get it. The smelling salt thing is the legal kick to the brain. Tried that once, basically wakes you the f*** up along with a very short lived jolt of adrenaline. Long term side effects of snorting ammonia can’t be good 😁

I will say the lines look steady again for the Avs after having to figure that missing piece out. I hope they get beat by Dallas.

JB20

Smolt
Given the effects of coke I sort of get it. The smelling salt thing is the legal kick to the brain. Tried that once, basically wakes you the f*** up along with a very short lived jolt of adrenaline. Long term side effects of snorting ammonia can’t be good 😁

I will say the lines look steady again for the Avs after having to figure that missing piece out. I hope they get beat by Dallas.

The smelling salts thing has gotten hilariously out of hand, guys just jamming them into their eyeballs between plays 😂. And agreed, I want to see Pavs get his cup.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
"That’s part of playoff hockey. I’ve been on the other side of a lot of plays and I think he got away with one but that’s part of the game and definitely a part of playoff hockey. It sucks to be on the other side of it but that stuff happens."

"People don’t want to say it but part of playoffs is trying to hurt every player on the other team and the more guys you take out the more advantage your team has. People don’t say that but that’s just a fact of the game. So, every time you step on the ice, someone is trying to hurt someone." -Brad Marchand

As is no secret, I'm not a fan of Brad Marchand. And I really hate the brand of "hurt the other guy" goon hockey he seems to love. But I'll give him a fair bit of credit for not being a hypocritical "good for me but not for thee" whiner about the situation with Bennett (who, for the record, I also think is a goon). He didn't sit there and cry about it, he just said "yeah, he got me there. It happens in the playoffs"

That said, screw both of those dudes and their whole mindset. I have a hard time caring about if it was a dirty play or a strange accident or somewhere in between because they both are the opposite of what I like to see in hockey. Play tough, play hard, NHL hockey isn't flag football. But don't risk ending careers or pull some pro wrestling sneak attack BS because you think you need to "hurt guys" to win. That's not good for hockey and not good for the humans who play it.

JB20

Smolt
With Colorado eliminated, none of the remaining teams in this year’s playoffs has won a Stanley Cup this century. Dallas is the most recent champ, and they won in 1999. So we’ll have a “fresh” champion for the first time in a while. I don’t count Vegas, for obvious reasons.

Divad

Whitefish
Dallas had to win twice last night! That goalie interference was such a bs call, I would really like to see the league fix that rule. Glad Avs are out 🥳