Have you fished this nymph

Tom.S

Smolt
I bought this in Yakima and was told it’s been catching big trout. They call it the Japanese Bullet. I did not get the chance to cast it.

Have any of you fished it before?

Attachments

• FAFD671C-D8A2-4A84-BB1C-B26D04CE0456.jpeg
    FAFD671C-D8A2-4A84-BB1C-B26D04CE0456.jpeg
    719.6 KB · Views: 67

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes and no. It's basically a perdigon/Spanish bullet from the tight line world. Gets down in a hurry, very effective, and stupid fast and easy to tie (just get the profile right).

Vary the colors as you will.

Love them. Variants make up about 1/2 of my nymph boxes.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don't fish them often as they will draw a lot of the tiny juveniles/smolts, more than most flies, around here. So they work. Paging @jaredoconnor

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't fish them often as they will draw a lot of the tiny juveniles/smolts, more than most flies, around here. So they work. Paging @jaredoconnor
Interesting. I’ve found location and depth to be the determining factor between juveniles and older fish in my fishing. I tend to get the aggressive fish closer to the top or in "worse" lies, for example.

Would love to hear more about your experience sometime.

Shad

Life of the Party
Mini trout jig (or Perdigon). Haven't seen that color combo, but it looks great. They work. Finding/successfully bending the hooks sucks, so I buy a few when in Rome (Montana) instead of tying them.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Interesting. I’ve found location and depth to be the determining factor between juveniles and older fish in my fishing. I tend to get the aggressive fish closer to the top or in "worse" lies, for example.

Would love to hear more about your experience sometime.
Much of the year I tend to notice more along the lines of 1 or 2 better fish, a few medium, and a bunch of small fish will occupy the same area. Fly choice can help sort them better than depth or location most of the time. I'm sure the nature of the stream has a lot to do with it. Lots of times I've watched an aggressive medium fish beat out the better ones, and the little ones can be crazy. In summer of course the tiny ones tend to be in certain areas all their own, sometimes edges, or tails.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Much of the year I tend to notice more along the lines of 1 or 2 better fish, a few medium, and a bunch of small fish will occupy the same area. Fly choice can help sort them better than depth or location most of the time. I'm sure the nature of the stream has a lot to do with it. Lots of times I've watched an aggressive medium fish beat out the better ones, and the little ones can be crazy. In summer of course the tiny ones tend to be in certain areas all their own, sometimes edges, or tails.
Thank you! I’ve got so much to learn, and stuff like this helps immensely.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thank you! I’ve got so much to learn, and stuff like this helps immensely.
So do I! Learned much from the folks on this website over the past couple years. Threads like the fluvial thread help put together years of observations, although I've read much about our local fish habits.
Sorry, lost the tread focus.
info, tying a similar fly
fishing the fly (you can use a regular setup, it's the tightline method the jig style was developed for)

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Depending on the size can make a good fall mayfly nymph imitation. Lots of BWO, fall drakes, and mahogany mayflies out and about this time of year. Small dark nymphs just look like food. Drop it below an October caddis pupa. The little nymphing I’ve done the last week I’ve been out, that combo has been cleaning up but everyday is a new day so YMMV.

Be wary of HOT flies. Buy a couple, put them in your box but do not be married to em and keep them on your tippet because someone, at some time caught a fish on them. Trout feed on what’s available, and not every day is at all the same.