NFR Has anyone insulated their garage door?

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've got a south facing garage with nothing to shade it and the solar gain in the summer is just crazy. I'm going to get some insulation up in the "attic" space. But I'd also like to see if doing anything with the door would help as well.

Has anyone here insulated their garage door? What did you use and did it work?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't done that. I had a bare, uninsulated metal garage door at a former house I owned, and like you say, it would just bake in the summer sun. When we built our current house I ordered insulated garage doors. Just the "medium" insulation, about R5. I'm happy that I did, but if I'd known what a difference it makes, I would have bought the max insulation offered. As it is, my garage almost never gets below 42* in the winter or above 76* in the summer. All 3 garage doors are directly south facing. The insulation makes such a huge difference. In your case, either the kit SurfinFish suggested or reflectix should significantly improve the interior temperature in your garage.

RCF

Life of the Party
Just what you need --> a rat attractor. We all know rats like to be warm in the winter.

golfer

Freshly Spawned
Yes, about a 100 bucks on amazon. Simple 30 minute job. I had to cut one panel and that's why it wasn't 10 minutes.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Yes, about a 100 bucks on amazon. Simple 30 minute job. I had to cut one panel and that's why it wasn't 10 minutes.
Do you feel like it made a difference?

wetline dave

Steelhead
You can paint the out side of the door a high gloss brilliant white and fill the recessed panels inside the frame work with foam sheeting, on the inside of the door. The frame if solid wood is a great insulator by itself.

Dave