Guided trip question

BayouJ

Smolt
I did some searching and didn't see an answer, so...

My family surprised me with a guided trip on the Yak at the end of the month - I've never done a float trip like this and am curious if anyone has any advice on what to bring. My current list are my waders & boots, rain jacket and all my normal stuff (hat, sunscreen, etc..), I will use their gear and will be sure to bring money to tip. Anything else as a good idea?
Thanks!

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I travel quite a bit and randomly fish when I can. I have used multiple states online purchase with evidence of purchase on my phone. No state DFG I've purchased from demanded a print version to be in possession. Each license is numbered and the warden can look it up in his database if he so chooses. Even the TSA are invested in digital ID starting with allowing cali digital drivers license at TSA checkpoints.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you floated a river before? (Reread, no is the answer lol)
I remember my first time, it was game over. I spent a year researching my new calling in life, and now countless of thousands of happily spent dollars, and it's all I think about now lol.

If you are newer to fly fishing, I like to probe guides for info and learning. As mentioned earlier, which flies and why. But also pay attention to the water he tells you to cast to, ask why this water structure. Try to learn to read the water and notice what sweet spots look like. I'm more apt to focus on here he is pointing, more so or just as much as where a fish is caught. Sweet water doesn't always get you a fish when floating on by it.
I'd ask if my casting looks OK, mends proper, and casting direction from the boat looks ok, or if they have any criticism.

If you're comfortable in all this already, disregard.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Kamishak Steve

Just Hatched
Watch some youtube videos of the kind of fishing you will likely be doing, (meaning drift boat fishing for trout). THis will give you at least an idea of what to expect.
Be direct with your guide before you get on the water about your physical health, dietary needs, number of times you have done that kind of fishing, your casting/mending experience, and what your goals are for the trip. These make a big difference about what choices the guide may make even before you set out on the water. Please don't overestimate your skill or your ability to walk/wade. These are the two biggest areas I see clients go wrong.
Your guide will have pretty much everything you need from a fishing standpoint, and in fact, you are often better off using their gear rather than your own. Their stuff is dialed in exactly to how they want you to use it, so unless you are dramatically more competent with your own stuff, use theirs. Be flexible and bring a good attitude.
Tip money has been said, but can't be emphasized enough. You should also bring sunscreen, medications, POLARIZED SUNGLASSES(!!), and dress in layers, meaning it can be anywhere from 40-80 at this time of year, and wind to further complicate things, so having layers, including a goretex shell, you can take off as needed is useful. I bring water, as well.
I'd recommend keeping everything in a small dry bag about the size of your head, if it doesn't fit, you probably don't need it. Space in the boat is limited, so bear that in mind.
With that, you should be set.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been on a few trips down the Yak and I can say the biggest issue for me is line management. There are so many things to catch you line on around the boat, in the boat, etc. Half the time my line gets wrapped around my leg, or maybe the plastic clip on the side of my cooler or dry bag, or maybe the guide him/herself. And don't even get me started on that damn anchor line!!!!!!!.......!!!!!!!. Who puts it there? 😂 And then, when the guide tells you to pull your line in for a moment while you go through some skinny water or some "rapids", what do you do with the line? You don't to reel it all in because it takes to long to get the leader and a little line out of the last rod guide for casting when you've got to hit that fast approaching spot timely. So you just pull it in a little and then you fail to realize the dry dropper set up is dragging in the shallow water and it snag a rock and break you off. Or maybe an oar. Guides love that! n!

But, it's a freaking blast and you'll learn a ton. I've gotten much better dealing with my line but no matter what, I'm going to get it caught up on something besides a fish a few times a trip.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are three primary rules when floating a river with a guide:
Rule # 1 - relax about the catching, and just enjoy the heck out of being there
Rule # 2 - listen to the guide
Rule #3 - see Rule # 1

BayouJ

Smolt
I've been on a few trips down the Yak and I can say the biggest issue for me is line management. There are so many things to catch you line on around the boat, in the boat, etc. Half the time my line gets wrapped around my leg, or maybe the plastic clip on the side of my cooler or dry bag, or maybe the guide him/herself. And don't even get me started on that damn anchor line!!!!!!!.......!!!!!!!. Who puts it there? 😂 And then, when the guide tells you to pull your line in for a moment while you go through some skinny water or some "rapids", what do you do with the line? You don't to reel it all in because it takes to long to get the leader and a little line out of the last rod guide for casting when you've got to hit that fast approaching spot timely. So you just pull it in a little and then you fail to realize the dry dropper set up is dragging in the shallow water and it snag a rock and break you off. Or maybe an oar. Guides love that! n!

But, it's a freaking blast and you'll learn a ton. I've gotten much better dealing with my line but no matter what, I'm going to get it caught up on something besides a fish a few times a trip.
I'm really looking forward to it - True story, I went steelhead fishing on the Cowlitz about 15 years ago - it was just me, the guide and his girlfriend on the boat (my buddy no showed so I had it solo). Long story short, as I was figuring out how to cast from the boat while drifting, I smacked his girlfriend in the face with a giant clump of cured eggs. Bless her heart she didn't scream at me or toss me off the boat, but I know she wanted to - lol

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Absolutely going to soak up as much information as I can.
I don't have millions of guide trips under my belt. I'm an "overflow" guide for our local outfitter....only do 10-15 trips/yr. However, my favorite clients over the last few years have been those that were excited to become a better angler and used me to help them learn some of what they are missing in their game.

Divad

Whitefish
Every guide is accustomed to getting smacked by stuff 👍 I used to wear a hat and a sun hoodie (up). Laughs would be shared when I’d get a whack and casting tips handed out after 😁

If you’re a beer drinker bring a couple local to you brews and share with the boat.

You’re going to have a great time! Weather will be stellar, spring flowers in bloom and fish hungry.

BayouJ

Smolt
Guided trip was a success - Fished all day and it rained on us for almost 4 hours. Nymphs in the morning, caught about 4 or 5 in the 13 - 15 inch range. Switch to salmon fly and caught another dozen or so including that 22 inch. Learned so much from the guide - can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image_6209779 (2).JPG
    image_6209779 (2).JPG
    758.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image_6209779.JPG
    image_6209779.JPG
    765 KB · Views: 28