Guide Recommendations Portland day trips end of May

mbowers

Smolt
Looking for guide recommendations for day trips near Portland for May 26 to June 1 range. Tried a couple guides and shops but no responses. Open to all species and prefer fly but will go to gear if necessary.

Or if someone feels like showing me some spots, happy to cover costs and reciprocate back around Victoria BC.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The guys at Portland Fly Shop or Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters will absolutely be the ones to talk to. If you are having a hard time reaching them, I'd keep trying. Great guys at both places.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
That is the beginning of springer season on the coastal rivers. My friend Jack and his son in Pacific City offer both half day (incoming tide) swinging for springer sessions in tidewater as well as beach launch dory trips fly fishing for local rockfish, flygear/flies provided for either. Two hour drive from Portland, great accomodations in town of all sorts from basic to upscale. Jack is an absolute jewel of a man.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That is the beginning of springer season on the coastal rivers. My friend Jack and his son in Pacific City offer both half day (incoming tide) swinging for springer sessions in tidewater as well as beach launch dory trips fly fishing for local rockfish, flygear/flies provided for either. Two hour drive from Portland, great accomodations in town of all sorts from basic to upscale. Jack is an absolute jewel of a man.
Yes great guiding service. Ryan at Avid Angler turned me on to Pacific City Fly Fisher back in 16’ or 17’ …. Good times!

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will add another big yes vote for Jack and John Harrell. As folks are saying above, they are super good people. The fly fishing dory trips are a hoot and they usually throw out a bunch of crab pots as well. If they are booked, you can try Rob Perkin and Connect Outfitters (https://connectoutfitters.com/). Rob also offers a fly fishing dory trip out of PC and I think Jack and Rob sometimes work together with large groups. It's a busy time so finding open dates might be challenging.

Last edited:

mbowers

Smolt
Thanks for all the tips and am making some progress. Hopeful Mckenzie drift if it drops enough.

Seems like Pacific City are shut down right now according to their website but have emailed Rob.

Is shad worth a guide? Any recs for that?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Seems like Pacific City are shut down right now according to their website but have emailed Rob.
Come to think of it, the last time I spoke with Jack (about six weeks ago), he said that John was building a home and was pretty busy but didn't realize they had suspended guiding. If you are on Instagram, Rob has some cool pics: @connectoutfitters

Last edited:

mbowers

Smolt
Thanks for the recommendation on Connect Outfitters. Fished for springers in the river one windy day with no hits. We saw a few fish roll so felt the potential was there.

Then back a couple days later for a gorgeous calm trip in the dory. Black rockfish were sporadically on the surface and I went 3 for 4 on a popper. Plenty of double headers on the sinking lines. I also added blue rockfish to my species list.

Rob was a great guide and would highly recommend him for both of those kinds of trips.

Attachments

• 20220601_124807.jpg
    20220601_124807.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220601_122355.jpg
    20220601_122355.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220601_124255.jpg
    20220601_124255.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 15