NFR Government shutdown

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Does anyone recall when we had the last government shutdown were the Yakima Canyon BLM campgrounds closed? Hoping to camp in the canyon next week.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Deschutes BLM campgrounds were open, but you had to bring your own TP, and take your own trash out.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I bring my own anyway. Trying to get single ply off a roll that doesn't turn is just torture...

I’m with you, I always have a six pack of TP in the truck. You never know… it sucks having to go Commando after donating the undies to the cause.

Zak

Legend
Hmm. I'm planning on camping in NF campgrounds in the Gifford Pinchot Oct 4-8. Both staffed and unstaffed. I wonder if they will close and lock the gates if the govt shuts down?

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Hmm. I'm planning on camping in NF campgrounds in the Gifford Pinchot Oct 4-8. Both staffed and unstaffed. I wonder if they will close and lock the gates if the govt shuts down?
You might get that info from the appropriate ranger district office. I have an email into the BLM office.

Reactions: Zak

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
If there is a shutdown no one is working if gates are shut. So how can they catch you if you walk in? No one is working ---> right?
During the last shut down I camped in a campground that I have hit annually for 20 years, first time I had ever seen law enforcement come through. They let me stay, but awakened me with their spot light in the middle of the night.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
At 34 days, the longest government shutdown was also the most recent, from late 2018 to early 2019, during former President Donald Trump's administration. The shutdown ended with a concession from Trump on immigration, as he did not receive the funding he had demanded for a border wall.

Zak

Legend
I spoke with the Cowlitz Ranger Station in Randal and got some intel. If the federal govt shuts down, and a FS campground has a gate, the gate will be shut and locked. But many campgrounds do not have gates and no one will be coming around to roust campers. Dispersed camping will remain available during a shutdown. Also, no fire ban now in the GP NF and unlikely to be one in October.

Last edited:

Uptonogood

PNW raised
During a federal government shutdown, only the military and Congress continue to operate. That's unfortunate. Americans would be better off if Congress shutdown and the other federal agencies continued to operate during a shutdown.
VA hospitals and other federal care agencies designated “essential” will stay open.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Shutdowns always cost a bunch of money, and the clowns never get anything in return.
It is performative theater by a handful of malcontents, intent on their fundraising and media appearances.
Nothing more.

The parks are closed, some national forests are gated, so be aware if you venture out those directions this weekend. It is not good to be gated in after a shutdown.
;)

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not saying this to be disagreeable and not in the slightest to say your wrong..

But just a short gripe... it's not theirs to shut down..
Oct 2018 to early 2019 the last gov budget freeze lead up just like this situation…BLM shut down Big Pines on the Yak. That was just before the Burning Pram event. I did not go that year… a few found somewhere to celebrate but a handfull instead of the usual weekend event of as many as 50 ffishing folks and sometimes their families.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Oct 2018 to early 2019 the last gov budget freeze lead up just like this situation…BLM shut down Big Pines on the Yak. That was just before the Burning Pram event. I did not go that year… a few found somewhere to celebrate but a handfull instead of the usual weekend event of as many as 50 ffishing folks and sometimes their families.
Not surprised this comment came from you Rob. Have a nice government control free day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.