NFR Got any mammal pictures

Non-fishing related

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Yes, it does appear that all the foxes in the lowlands, including the ones that wander through my backyard on occasion, are "introduced". According to this report: "Populations of non‐native red foxes also occur in lowland areas of Washington due to translocations of red foxes into the state during historical times for fox‐hunting, or animals that escaped or were released from fur farms (Aubry 1984; Witmer & Lewis 2001; Statham and others 2012). The genetic characteristics of these lowland red foxes indicates that they differ from the Cascade red fox and are descended from red foxes that originated in eastern Canada and Alaska (Aubry and others 2009; Sacks and others 2010; Statham and others 2012). Although there is no evidence yet that lowland red foxes have dispersed into and occupied areas within the historical range of the Cascade red fox (Akins and others 2018), a potential invasion by non‐native red foxes into its range could have negative consequences for the Cascade red fox. Conservation and management efforts are complicated by the similarity in appearance between Cascade and lowland red foxes in Washington; consequently, genetic data are required to distinguish the two forms."
Because of its limited and declining range and small population numbers, the Cascade red fox subspecies is a priority conservation species for WADFW.
Steve

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Yes, it does appear that all the foxes in the lowlands, including the ones that wander through my backyard on occasion, are "introduced". According to this report: "Populations of non‐native red foxes also occur in lowland areas of Washington due to translocations of red foxes into the state during historical times for fox‐hunting, or animals that escaped or were released from fur farms (Aubry 1984; Witmer & Lewis 2001; Statham and others 2012). The genetic characteristics of these lowland red foxes indicates that they differ from the Cascade red fox and are descended from red foxes that originated in eastern Canada and Alaska (Aubry and others 2009; Sacks and others 2010; Statham and others 2012). Although there is no evidence yet that lowland red foxes have dispersed into and occupied areas within the historical range of the Cascade red fox (Akins and others 2018), a potential invasion by non‐native red foxes into its range could have negative consequences for the Cascade red fox. Conservation and management efforts are complicated by the similarity in appearance between Cascade and lowland red foxes in Washington; consequently, genetic data are required to distinguish the two forms."
Because of its limited and declining range and small population numbers, the Cascade red fox subspecies is a priority conservation species for WADFW.
Steve
Super insight Steve !! Thank you
John

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Yes, thank you, Steve!

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Steve

I wasn’t aware of this critters existence when I was fortunate to see one of the pure black ones while on a hike near Paradise on Mt. Rainier last year. It was only about 100’ away and it quickly disappeared behind some brush, never to be seen by me again. It was the kind of deal where I wondered if I really saw what I thought I saw.

I Googled it when I got back in range and learned of their rare existence. I feel fortunate to have seen it, a very rare and very cool anamal.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I wasn’t aware of this critters existence when I was fortunate to see one of the pure black ones while on a hike near Paradise on Mt. Rainier last year. It was only about 100’ away and it quickly disappeared behind some brush, never to be seen by me again. It was the kind of deal where I wondered if I really saw what I thought I saw.

I Googled it when I got back in range and learned of their rare existence. I feel fortunate to have seen it, a very rare and very cool anamal.

Wish my experience on Rainier was a tad more wild with Cascade foxes about 15 years ago (my photos in previous post). I saw one in the parking lot at Paradise milling around. I moved over to where it was. I was about 30 feet away. It was sort of looking through me when I realized it was listening for something in the brush next to me. It zoomed by within feet of me and stopped, keeping focus on some prey. It then quickly disappeared around some brush and I heard the scream of a victim.
It came out and had a rodent in mouth.

Incredibly beautiful creatures for sure. I have seen a couple gray phase red's here in Grays Harbor County way back, and in Lewis once. Come across a normal but yet always stunning orangey red version every couple of years it seems.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Wish my experience on Rainier was a tad more wild with Cascade foxes about 15 years ago (my photos in previous post). I saw one in the parking lot at Paradise milling around. I moved over to where it was. I was about 30 feet away. It was sort of looking through me when I realized it was listening for something in the brush next to me. It zoomed by within feet of me and stopped, keeping focus on some prey. It then quickly disappeared around some brush and I heard the scream of a victim.
It came out and had a rodent in mouth.

Incredibly beautiful creatures for sure. I have seen a couple gray phase red's here in Grays Harbor County way back, and in Lewis once. Come across a normal but yet always stunning orangey red version every couple of years it seems.
Would love to have seen that!

Jim F.

I saw a pair of Red Fox along the Columbia 10 years or so ago, but I haven't ever seen them again in any of the numerous trips I have made through that area. Coyotes can be tough on Foxes; years ago they almost completely cleared them out of the Deer Lodge Valley.

wetline dave

Steelhead
There use to be a den below the lookout at Wahluke on the Columbia river is past years. May or may not still be there. It has been nearly 18 years since I hunted on the ridge above Hanford.

And since I am on the topic of Wahluke just curious did you use hunt there Jim F ?

Dave

Jim F.

Back in the '80s a few times, Dave. The Fox I saw were south of the Tri Cities.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Steve
Very interesting. I've not seen many foxes here in the Puget lowlands, but I've always thought they were native. I think I've seen two gray ones, and I thought they were a different species, not just a different phase of red fox. This has been educational!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Steve
I saw foxes a handful of times, some black, some silver, some more reddish, wander through our property outside of Montesano as a kid in the 90s-early 2000s. They were typically few and far between, but one year we saw them 4-5 times in a short period of time.

Jim F.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cabezon - Thanks for the education, I had no idea.... love your pictures and commentary.

Keep it coming.

My background was in marine biology and the critter pictures are just not the same. Moon snails, limpets, chitons just don’t have much pizzazz .

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Cabezon - Thanks for the education, I had no idea.... love your pictures and commentary.

Keep it coming.

My background was in marine biology and the critter pictures are just not the same. Moon snails, limpets, chitons just don’t have much pizzazz .
They do to me! Especially you know the inside story of these amazing creatures.
Steve

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My big problem now is that they changed a lot of the Latin names for marine critters.

AOS is doing the same with avians. No more Lewis’ woodpeckers, Wilson’s warblers, etc.....

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
My big problem now is that they changed a lot of the Latin names for marine critters.

AOS is doing the same with avians. No more Lewis’ woodpeckers, Wilson’s warblers, etc.....
I share the same headache. The revolution in our understanding of evolutionary relationships due to the application of molecular genetics has caused substantial upheaval in taxonomy. The common names of many marine vertebrates and invertebrates have been more stable than the scientific names LOL... [At the same time, I can't believe that the canopy-forming kelp Macrocystis pyrifera from Southern California is the same species as the strictly lower intertidal and nearshore subtotal kelp that has the same scientific name. The geneticists say that they are the same, but ecologically, they are not...]
Some of the changes with bird names (scientific and common) stem from new genetic insights (and the tension between "lumpers" and "splitters"). Other changes stem from a desire not to honor some of the prominent early ornithologists who were NOT good human beings in other aspects of their lives.
Steve

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Posted this on the other site before, this sow and cub were probably pushed through a trail by my friend that had gone back to his car to get some food. He didn't see the crossing but said he smelled them going through the knot weed forest tunnel coming back.

I don't know is the sow ever seen me but the cub did and hesitated at the tree line, until momma touched the water and mad a B line to catch up, and the crossed the river.

Black bear cubs are the cutest babies ever IMHO!

480_IMGP1167.jpeg