Glass Rod ID help appreciated

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I’ve been given a lot of rods and reels from my grandfather over the last few years. Seems every time I go for a visit I come home with some new random tackle and some stories. This one stumps me and also stumped my grandpa a bit. Barely legible on the blank above the cork in thin black handwritten cursive is : “Nyglax Gillie”(spelling could be wrong by a letter or two) to which I haven’t been able to find any information in my googling. It so faint I can’t even photograph it. The blank is a dark brown color with red and black thread accents. It measures 8.5’ and seems to cast a 5-7wt line nicely but could maybe go heavier even. The butt section is actually very powerful I was surprised with how easily I could toss 80’ of fly line in the yard but it still cast nicely with a 5wt WF line in my hands. The ferrules are tight, all the guides are in great shape, other then the patina on the cork it’s really in pretty remarkable shape . My grandpa knows little about it but knows he got it from his dad at some point. It looks like it’s been fished a lot, the wear is in the right places IMO to suggest so, however my great grandfather didn’t do a whole lot of fly fishing until a new coworker of his started trading him trips on the NF Stilly for cutts and summer run in the 1950’s. My grandpa thought maybe this rod was a gift from either that coworker or possibly some one from the Evergreen Fly Club in the early days as he became a member at that time. Anyways if anyone knows anything about when this rod may have been made that would be cool to hear. I will fish it regardless, after I clean up one of these old medalists I’ll get back on the NF stilly again in no time. Thanks.

Attachments

• B71B22C5-CD2D-4FBB-8F56-09D5D0C5F621.jpeg
    B71B22C5-CD2D-4FBB-8F56-09D5D0C5F621.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 8DE48CED-04F2-4C13-BFCE-0AC4D16952DA.jpeg
    8DE48CED-04F2-4C13-BFCE-0AC4D16952DA.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0EAA861D-5109-4EDD-A25C-8D58DCB27A03.jpeg
    0EAA861D-5109-4EDD-A25C-8D58DCB27A03.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2462DEFD-3886-4D55-8464-B1FB33C45A77.jpeg
    2462DEFD-3886-4D55-8464-B1FB33C45A77.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 4EF710A5-091D-41F8-B612-01BF5311BE2D.jpeg
    4EF710A5-091D-41F8-B612-01BF5311BE2D.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 19

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Is this it?

I saw that, and yeah pretty much it, except it doesn’t have the red tag with the model name as that one does, it’s hand written on the blank itself. Its hard to tell exactly but the reel seat seems a little different. But the thread wraps and blank color are correct I’m sure it’s the same blank and model, must just be from a different era. Regardless of whether I get too much more info on the rod itself, it casts really nicely, and I will fish it for sure so it’s only to satisfy my curiosity. Definitely will do well on the NF Stilly where it seems like it was acquired for, according to the storyline I’m piecing together anyways. I think it’ll also be fun with a single hand skagit line swinging for bull trout on the sauk and skagit.

I have a long family history of fishing here in WA on both sides of my family, but until recently, I thought I was the only fly fishermen. Most of the fly gear I’ve collected from my grandpas gear stash has been junk to be honest and probably was only used to drag flies around the local lakes, but a couple of pfluegar medalists, a box of vintage steelhead and cutthroat flies and this rod has been the few items that have really piqued my interest. Next time I see my grandfather I will bring it up again.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From a search over there:

"Hello
I also have a 8'6" Glass Rod labeled Nyglax Gillie.
I was told that Nyglax was a Sharps of Aberdeen early glass offering.
I have never been able to confirm the rumored information.
Both my Nyglax rods are super casting rods and I cherish them.
Not much help but I have been searching for answers to the Nyglax question for about 5 years.
It least now you know it's a "Nyglax"

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It sounds like it could be a super fun rod for a pretty wide range of species.