Glad I did it.....

My local river closed Friday cuz not enough brats have made it back to the hatchery and since I really, really, really wanted some river time, yesterday I decided to head south.

Evidently, I'd gotten out of the habit of going to this place because when making a journal entry at the end of the day, I realized it's been 3.5 years since I've been there. Crazy how time flies, but I guess with Covid, a health scare of my own, and all the tweekers, wolves, and Sasquatches to be wary of, I just didn't go. That and it's a nearly a 90 minute drive followed by an hour long slog through some thick woods of a previously logged area, so there's plenty of time to ruminate on whether or not it's worth it.

Anyhow, I threw caution to the wind, pulled anything of value from the cab of my trusty steed, grabbed the dog (who was having a good day), busted out my inner mountain man and hit the road.

de733f61940779284cfc9e18499106a8.jpg

It's a good thing this urban mountain man has the benefit of Gaia GPS and an inReach Mini cuz I find it friggin' scary as to how easy it is for me to get turned around and lost in this stuff...IMG_5538a.JPG

There's a river back there....somewhere....I swear.😉

After stopping repeatedly to verify headings, a few more times to peel layers so I didn't over heat, the pup and I finally made it. And it was everything I'd hoped for.:)IMG_5539b.jpg

Now ya either know this spot or ya don't but please don't name it....

Anyway, I had the place to myself except for one rafter who appeared to be on a scouting trip....aside from that, it was just me and the pup. The solitude, however, was somewhat lacking because the upriver militia spent 4 hours working through a small fortune in ammunition and what I'm pretty certain was some tannerite....but after a while it became white noise....that is until someone busted out another package of tannerite ;)

It rained and drizzled throughout the day, soaking the pup, but the fishing was a a treat. Nothing crazy and I ended up with these three over my three hours on the waterIMG_5541b.jpg
IMG_5543b.JPG

IMG_5545b.JPG
They seemed so healthy and strong. It was a good reminder of what a healthy river system is and what I wish my local river was.

Another good feeling after the sweaty bushwhacking back to the truck was finding it just where I parked it AND with all the windows intact. 🥳🤩

The final treat, however, was this view on the way home....IMG_5547.JPG
So while ruminating on the drive home as to whether or not the 3 hour drive time and the two hours of nasty off trail bushwhacking was worth it to fish for only 3 hours....

I was still Glad I did it.

Mike d

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Great report!
SF

Reactions: M_D

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Used to be a little driveway into a parking spot. That made the slog just a bit shorter. But reading your story reminds me of the time back in the 70s when I too, got turned around while walking into the _______ hole. That was also the season that there was a beaver pond in the way of the non-trail leading in there, and the pond had backfilled enough that the water nearly came to the top of my chest waders. I should have removed a few layers as well because I was soaked with sweat when I finally reached the gravel bar. Was it worth the hike? An hour and 8 pound steelhead later said "yes."

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Did that hike earlier this year and it's tough work and then you get to the pool and have sweated through all your layers and have to work to stay warm. You need a compass or GPS or Gaia. Very easy to get turned around by creeks and topography and thick thick brush.

Last edited:
Reactions: M_D