Getting really stoked for spring this year... (bass, mostly)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm putting this in general discussion because, while it's about bass for me, it's mostly about the turning of the seasons away from our cold wet winter and onto brighter days.

IMG_4345.jpg

I'm just about tired of winter. Tired of gore-tex all the time. Tired of chasing my recycling bins down the alley after each storm. Tired of the constant soggy ground and mud. And yeah, despite living in the PNW my whole life, this happens to me about this time every year. The salmon and steel seasons are mostly done (come on WDFW, where's that Skagit CnR season...) and even with the fun of snowboarding, I'm pretty tired of rain, 30mph gusts, and cold temps in the lowlands. Maybe if I'd been born 20-40 years earlier I'd be excited about the late winter and all the fish it brings. But those days are gone and I haven't ever been much of a lake fisher. Sinking lines and sitting around waiting for the chironomid bite just wasn't for me.

I wasn't ever one who got too depressed over our dreary winters, though that is absolutely a thing that affects some poeple. In high school and college, it just means snow season was here. But the older I get, and the more rare free time becomes, the harder it is for me to get the winter stoke going. Oh, don't get me wrong. Heading up the the ski hill is still a ton of fun. Especially having my kids to ride with the past few years. But even that gets old after a while. I've been making that 3+ hour round trip drive for over three decades now. It's not the exciting adventure it once was even if the riding is still fun.

More than the improving weather, something that has gotten me excited about spring/summer fishing in recent years has been bass. Like I said, I've never been much of a lake fisherman. I just don't care to sit and wait. But back when covid shut everything down, I started messing around with the little lakes/ponds nearby looking for bluegill. That led to some bass bycatch and I quickly realized how fun and aggressive those fish are. Sure, it took me a long time, but I finally started to understand why hundreds of thousands of anglers are obsessed with these fish. The fish are aggressive, and like fishing the river, even when you aren't catching, you're pretty constantly doing something. It's a hell of a lot of fun. And unlike our river fisheries, bass are doing just fine up here in the PNW. Nobody arguing over run sizes on the bass pond, there's no North of Falcon debates about smallmouth. Plus, there's not a damn thing wrong with floating around on a warm bass pond in the sun.

IMG_1729 2.jpg

This year I'm gonna push harder to get more of them on the fly rod. I admit I do enjoy pitching gear at them. But just like the enteral Roland Martin points out, bass on the fly rod is a ton of fun. Plus, when you get dozens of hawg photos from @Billy, you start to think "Well shit, why not me?" about bass on the fly.

So let's get this shit done and get into spring. Sure, spring weather can be all over the place. But you get more variety at least and the daylight is noticeably longer. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here here in the PNW drizzle and daydreaming about being able to wear sandals instead of wool socks.

What about you? What fishing fills your mind when you are looking at the window at another grey winter PNW day?

IMG_1787.jpg

Lake Whatcom comes to mind. Green Soft hackles fished off the rocks that go from five feet deep to twenty feet deep. The fat, feisty smallmouth are there. When I launch my float tube on this lake (three separate spots) I expect to catch. There is just something special about a big pig Smallmouth Bass.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm looking forward to a few overnights of dispersed camping and fishing on small streams and mountain lakes.

Coming here from Vermont, I don't miss the subzero nostril freezing cold. I just wish the lake closest to me didn't close for the winter. I look forward to this opening up again. But I hope to get farther afield for some fishing adventures.
PXL_20221111_222746007.MP.jpg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
April. Crankbaiting Smallmouth on the Columbia
May stoneflies on the Deschutes
June could be anything.
July walk and wade section of the Madison
August topwater Smallmouth and bobber fishing tidewater chinook
September meeting friends on the north Umpqua
October steelhead on the GR
November Coho
December hatchery winter steelhead fishing with bait
January killing hatchery steelhead in areas above Hatcheries
Feb -March wild winter runs on the fly.

Actually I've been watching Drew lookn fishy on YouTube and though I am not big on you tube fishing videos this guy kinda inspires me.. blue line chasing and keeping your mouth shut about where you find great stuff...

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm with ya Josh
I'm not to excited to get out and fish for the winter river fish that are few and far between, even when the days are nicer.
The local warm water lakes around here have kinda brown colored water, but the bass, crappy, and blue gil are there and willing to take a fly.
I'm just gonna have to get over going out and about in my boat by myself.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I really like the warmer sunny days fishing for winter steelhead when a T-Shirt is and waders is suitable attire for the days weather.

Reactions: Zak

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
There is a sweet little 5 acre irrigation pond lined in tules south of Half Moon Bay (former home for decades) where I first put in my new Woods River Stealthrider. Had no idea if it had fish, just wanted to get used to the tube, so brought along a 4 wt tipped with a bead head Wooly Bugger, and began tagging small bass up to 2#. Became a secret honey hole for my wife and buddy as well. It got us wondering about all the other irrigation ponds along the coast south of us, especially a large one we'd passed coming and going surfing since the 60's. After the first session there with my buddy, came back with six weights.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What about you? What fishing fills your mind when you are looking at the window at another grey winter PNW day?

I'm stoked knowing most of my favorite runs are empty. Stoked knowing I don't have to get up at 4am or fish until 10:30. Stoked knowing I can fish all day. Stoked knowing I can have a raging fire at camp.

Glad to be done with the worst of winter but shoulder seasons are my jam. Not going to jump to summer yet, just going to appreciate the next 3 months all I can.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Springs coming fast, we officially have 10 hour days now.
The days getting longer is so nice. I really love getting home from work and it still being light out and having some time to do something outdoors. Work in the yard, rip a few arrows down range, play with the kids, sneak in some fishing at a local lake, etc. All of these things calm my soul and I can't do them in the dark of the winter very well.

I'm thinking about a camping trip on San Juan Island. I'll take the ferry with my truck and camper shell. Apparently there are campgrounds and lake fishing. I've spent many days working just offshore of this island, but have never set foot on it. Camping near Smallpox Bay, fishing for bass in my float tube, looking for the petroglyphs near the limestone lighthouse park, getting a delicious sandwich at Friday Harbor...etc.. Next week looks cold and snowy.....but soon it will be time.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I've promised myself to get out with the kids this spring and hit up some pre and post spawn bass. Kiddos are getting pretty good with a spinning rod or spin cast rod in their hands. Capable of casting to a general spot. Some stoke building as I see buds starting to build on the azaleas and rhododendrons.

The new bait caster reels are truly remarkable. They actually have a computer in them that senses when a backlash is about to happen and it "puts on the brakes" to prevent a backlash/birdsnest. The battery in them recharges automatically when the reel is being used. A bait caster is a far better tool to get a lure into the strike zone. You can actually skip a lure (think of skipping flat rocks) underneath overhanging trees, or even underneath the docks. That's one way that the 10% of fisherman get 90% of the trophy bass. Young kids often get the hang of this quickly. An unweighted Senko (pumpkin seed green). Nothing even comes close to the shear number of Bass caught with this lure, with this particular color!!!! Weedless Frogs on Lilly pads is a ton of fun, but those opportunities are only optimal for short periods of time.

Last edited:
Today I saw some crocuses ready to bloom. When the daffodils start to show up, I will know that the pre-spawn bite is probably fully underway. All those big, fat, hungry females lined up,,, just outside their food sources. Much like an "all you can eat" buffet that is about to open.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The new bait caster reels are truly remarkable. They actually have a computer in them that senses when a backlash is about to happen and it "puts on the brakes" to prevent a backlash/birdsnest.
I actually have one of these, Shimano SLX DC, and it's pretty amazing. Sounds like a robot computer thing when you cast as well.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Those new bait casters must be amazing! Some 35 years ago I was skipping tube baits under docks using a spinning rod; it was impossible with a bait caster at the time. Evey time I attempted to skip a bait the bait casters of the would result in a bird's nest between after the first skip.

With my limited fly casting experience with a side arm cast I could flip my fly under over hanging trees if I had a couple feet of space between the water and the limbs. Even with that kind of space I had difficulty on the docks with the fly rod. Even with a side arm cast as the loop laid out the line/fly would catch a piling/post. By aiming directly at a piling, I could sometimes get the fly under the dock between that piking and its neighbor but was very much a hit and miss situation.

Have not fly fished for bass in a number of years but these discussions are giving me the bug to dig out my old bass bug box.

Curt

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
What fishing fills your mind when you are looking at the window at another grey winter PNW day?
Where am I going to go? Weather and time of year may slow me from 4-5 days to 1-3 days a week (darn job), but I'm going fishing. I love fishing in the winter. And spring, and summer, and fall, and any day ending in "y".
This year I will get a LMB bigger than 6"!

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Those new bait casters must be amazing! Some 35 years ago I was skipping tube baits under docks using a spinning rod; it was impossible with a bait caster at the time. Evey time I attempted to skip a bait the bait casters of the would result in a bird's nest between after the first skip.
I will say that I still think that a spinning rod is the best tool for dock skipping. The fancy reels help, but skipping with a baitcaster is a pretty high skill move.