Gear Information

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
The first flyrod I bought was also the Trail master, loved that thing and used it as a kid throughout the Alpine lakes and what is now Wild Sky, broke it in my 20's trying to get through a patch of slide alder, was really bummed at the time.

Reactions: RCF

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Probably the oldest piece of flyfishing gear I occasionally use is a Perrine auto flyreel I've had since I was about 13 (now 71). With a 3 wt line on a 6' Eagle Claw flyrod it's my 'Redneck Tenkara' setup for brushy 'Thin Blue Line' skinny water. No room on reel for backing, which is completely unnecessary for skinny water anyway....the advantage of the auto flyreel in such an environment is that one can keep constant control over flyline as it's stripped on retrieves...rather than having it swept into logjams and bankside root balls. Good casting don't mean shit on such water...lots of 'slingshotting', dapping, and roll-casting.

That Perrine auto flyreel has outlived several 'yeller' Eagle Claw flyrods, including the very first one who met its end when my trusty fishing dog Bubbles bit the butt section in half in frustration because we left her tied up in camp whilst hunting bullfrogs one evening. Taste like chicken fried up in lard...the bullfrog legs, not Bubbles, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My oldest was a 5wt Sage RP that went to a new home a few years back. But I still have second place, a Hardy LRH, and always will. Honorable mention to #3 is a Patagonia vertical pocket vest. Like many here I’ve tried dozens of carry options and have at least 2 or 3 of each type imaginable. But a deliberately minimally appointed vest is what I like best, and the organization of this particular vest can’t be beat, for me. I recently retrieved it from the storage duffel and appointed it using the “what can I take away” mindset. Lightweight, zero danglies and 2 hand rod compatible. Besides, it was a first gift from my sweetheart. I’ll keep her too.

Last edited: