Gear Information

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
My favorite rod is an FE Thomas paired with a JW Young “Marvel” reel, both made in the 1920’s. I use both regularly.

The oldest rod I own was made in the 1890’s by a partnership of Fred Thomas, Eustis Edwards and Ed Payne while they were at US Net and Twine. I haven’t built up the courage to fish it yet 😂, but I plan on it someday.

Sagebrush

Smolt
My CFO IV reel that I bought in the early 80s is still my main trout reel, and my Winston 2 piec 4 wt. Purchased at the same time from Kaufmanns gets fished a lot.

Stimson

Smolt
Forum Supporter
My oldest fly gear is from the 90's. I do however, have my very first rod and reel. A 4' long glass pole with a green zebco pushbutton reel that still works. I'm 61 and have pics of me holding a fish in one hand and the rod in the other hand- when I was 5. I was lucky-I was my dad and grandfather's "excuse" to go fishing.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Mid 80’s Loomis IM6 rods.
I still have a brand new, unfished Wright McGill Eagle Claw fiberglass rod I need to break in one of these days.
SF

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I have a bunch of Hardy reels I started collecting in about 2006. I thought they were expensive then but now it’s outrageous. My oldest I fish is a beat up Uniqua wide with the telephone latch spool button. It’s a very cool reel IMO. I think it’s 1910ish in age. It was very collectible when I bought it and it has a lot of wear and tear in a good way. I’m glad it still gets wet.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
What is the oldest piece of gear you use when fly fishing?
Hardy st John bought new in 85.

Doh, that was a lie.. I have a Berkeley Hardy knock off. I don't know how old it is but likely older than my St John and I use it more..

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've got an old JW Young Beaudex from the 60s (maybe even the 50s, just never taken the time to figure it out). All I know is that it's far tougher than any of the older Hardy's I used to enjoy fishing. It's a really fun winter steelhead reel...then again, so are my more modern Danielsson Originals.

RCF

Life of the Party
Mid 80’s Loomis IM6 rods.
I still have a brand new, unfished Wright McGill Eagle Claw fiberglass rod I need to break in one of these days.
SF

All my flyrods are Loomis IM6 from the 80's. Still have all my Lamson LP fly reels bought back then too.

My first rod I bought was a Wright McGill Eagle Claw Trailmaster fiberglass spin/fly rod. It went all over on the Pacific Crest trail and OP for years with me. It finally died on a Dose steelhead.