Non-Fly Garibaldi tuna 8/26

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just sat on the couch to relax finally. Not a bad day. Not the lights out wide open bites that reports were sending out earlier in the week but still what I would call solid scratch fishing.

Took my boat with my cousin and another good fishing friend on board, and buddy boated with @NorthPlainsDrifter who also had @Tuna Ball on board. Left port just before daylight. We ran out together and stayed in touch all day.

About halfway to our waypoint we ran in to a few acres of frenzied feeding mackerel so we hit the brakes and got our jigs out. Had a fun fifteen minutes or so there and caught a handful of a mix of jack mackerel (the relative of amberjacks and yellowtail) and pacific mackerel.

1000003336.jpg

Started trolling at our waypoint NW of Garibaldi once we got out there and didn't have much to show for it for a bit. Picked up and ran another five miles or so and put em back out. Spotted jumpers and trolled over to slide in and cast jigs. Immediately doubled up and got both to the boat when a comedy of errors sent both on their way with a few scars to show for it.

The school showed itself again and we managed to snipe a few of them.

1000003337.jpg
Finally got one on the troll shortly after that and pulled a few more on jigs. So had five fresh ones in the bleed barrel in pretty short order.

1000003341.jpg

Spent the rest of the day sniping jumbo albacore whenever we'd see jumpers. We could not make the troll bite happen so just made use of our jigging skillz to get the ones who showed themselves. But man, they sure were boat shy. We'd slide in from far away and cast way out and they'd still spook. Thus is the game when you're dealing with the big donkeys.

1000003340.jpg

Ended the day with 14 of them, and all but two were in that 20-30lb class. So really not a bad day even if we couldn't keep them coming over the rail steadily.

1000003355.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Nice work. I want to try some Jack mackerel. I do love me some yellowtail.

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
Great day out there. Thanks for having me along @NorthPlainsDrifter . Nice flat ocean but as mentioned very skittish fish. Lots of jumpers to cast at but many wouldn't chew. Thankful for the ones that did. Heard many single digits or skunks at the dock. They were a good grade fish. I weighed one at home that was gutted at 23.5lb. Missed more jig bites and lost more than usual. Even foul hooked two on jigs that came unbuttoned.

"The Nino" strikes again.

IMG_20230826_063148613.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Absolutely doing that to the next one I catch. Curious how it compares as sashimi to hamachi.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
@Evan B do you have some jack mackerel recipes? I filleted a couple while carking. Froze the rest for lack of time.
Had a mack snack for brunch while processing this morning. Put black garlic umami salt on some and put it on the charcoal grill for a few minutes. My cousin and buddy both said hands down one of the best fish they'd ever eaten. And neither are remotely close to inexperienced. So, good to have some validation 😂

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
Jack mackerel report:

In spite of having mackerel in it's name, these taste quite nice. I was unsure when filleting these how soft the meat felt. It firmed up when cooked and has been enjoyed by all but my youngest, no surprise there. It smells a little fishy but doesn't taste fishy. It was not overly oily, but not dry. I am glad we kept a few and gave it a try.

IMG_20230828_164810382.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nice work all!

I was along for two fly trips out of Westport over the weekend and we found similar fishing. The boats fishing live bait couldn't buy bites on the troll but once they could get on top of some fish they did well with bait.

Flies got bit very well on the troll and the slide but were not productive when stopped. Was a fun but frustrating couple of days.

The fish are absolutely monstrous right now. My God they were big this weekend. I couldn't resist at one point yesterday and sent an anchovy over the stern while the guys were casting and instantly hooked this slab.

20230827_131229-01.jpeg