SFR Fly rod holders for watermaster

Sorta fishing-related

sbonvallEt

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
Recently purchased a watermaster and trying to figure out the ideal fly rod holder arrangement. I have the watermaster holders and today discovered it won’t hold a rod with a fighting butt. Curious as to what others have used and where you place them on your boat.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have the watermaster holders
Can you share a link? I'm not sure which those are.

But based on previous watermaster conversations I've seen (and my experience using them on other floating devices), I'd say the Scotty holders are the way to go.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Scotty holders work well, the challenge is mounting. I built the mount for it, Scotty may have something on their site that would also work.

860BA107-08D6-4C9E-8C10-29EA82C9AE32.jpeg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
You can get some brackets that glue onto the WM tube, and the Scotty rod holders mount directly into those. However, once glued on, you can't move them around like the one Roper shows above.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Can you share a link? I'm not sure which those are.
But based on previous watermaster conversations I've seen (and my experience using them on other floating devices), I'd say the Scotty holders are the way to go.
I've used three rod holders in my WM Kodiak.
Maybe I just need to learn how to control loose line while casting but I often find if my Scotty holder is where I can easily reach it on my WM Kodiak, it becomes a line magnet.
The WM holder wants to hold the rod in a vertical position, so IMHO is not ideal for trolling, and having a 9' rod pointing straight up and locked into position up is not good if tree branches are over the water. I haven't tried using it with a rod that has a fighting butt.
My favorite is the rod holder sold by Water Strider; IIRC a branch of the original WM - BSI company tree. I'm told it's made by another small company, I just don't know who. I always use it as the holder for my active rod. It can naturally assume a 45° angle that I believe is more conducive to trolling. A friend uses one on his float tube and really likes it. I haven't tried using it with a rod that has a fighting butt.

After breaking a tip on a spare rod coming into shore, what I'd like is a safe way to stow spare rigged rods on a WM. The rear deck fabric not having holes to rig straps around the tubes seems to limit options to secure easy-access protective rod tubes and I haven't wanted to experiment with cutting holes in the deck to do so.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I keep my spare rod strapped to one side of my WM in a case. My boat has the WM supplied zippered mesh bag on the interior side of the tube. I simply unzip one of the little pockets and put the reel and butt end of the rod I am using inside that pouch and use a piece of double-sided velcro to secure the rod to the raft behind the seat. I often fish just standing inside of the boat and keeping the rods this way eliminates places where the line can snag when fishing.P9130153.JPG

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I keep my spare rod strapped to one side of my WM in a case. My boat has the WM supplied zippered mesh bag on the interior side of the tube. I simply unzip one of the little pockets and put the reel and butt end of the rod I am using inside that pouch and use a piece of double-sided velcro to secure the rod to the raft behind the seat. I often fish just standing inside of the boat and keeping the rods this way eliminates places where the line can snag when fishing.View attachment 12365
Is your boat partner a Llewellyn?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use a Scotty mounted with straps on my dominant hand (right) side. I did try the set up on the left, out of concern over line tangling. In the end, it wasn’t worth it. Line stripped in while playing a fish was more likely to get snarled on the holder. Moreover, keeping the holder on my dominant side made for quicker grabbing of the rod.

As far as snagging loose line, that seems to happen any time line wanders off the stripping apron. One of the worst culprits are the straps at the cinch buckles—especially if they are situated on the outboard side where it’s hard to see and reach. I’ve been meaning to modify my straps with quick releases to minimize the amount of strap tails hanging out. So long as the quick release snaps are inboard and within easy reach, snagged fly line should be much less of an issue.

SteelyDan

Just Hatched
I mounted a Scotty rod holder receiver(you can really mount just about any Scotty accessory) using their glue-on patch.
Pretty slick piece of kit but it's not moveable.