Float tube net

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I seem to have lost my float tube net sometime over the summer. Taking advice on a new one. What do you like?

I'm coming from generally using a cheap one that lasts 1-2 years but am not sold on continuing that route. Would be nice to have one that can handle big bass and trout 😁

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
For size I like mine which is 35" long with a 22"X12" basket and about 8" deep. I like the look of wood, and it floats. I know the composites are lighter, and don't require maintenance. I don't have a brand to recommend.

RCF

Life of the Party
For the size of bass @Billy catches on an ongoing basis, a slightly larger and deeper net may be in order. My next net will be composite. It is a tool and IMHO does not need to be beautiful but functional. I like lower maintenance too.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
For a float tube and even my WM, a medium Measure Net with the rubber net bag that's 24" long and about 10"-12" deep. It is long enough to reach the water next to me, isn't too long to ever be in my way when stowed, and at $40 not real expensive. It floats and I also like the measuring feature - I don't do (self) hero shots. A quick raising of the net after I get my camera ready keeps the fish wet and tells a no BS story. Then I just flip the net over to release the fish with no to minimal handling. I also use it for salt beaches and have caught Chinook and Chum where it came up a little short with up to 12" of tail outside the net.
1697069347419.png

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I use a measure net that’s pushing 20 years of use. I’m guessing it’s the large version. I like that it’s light weight and has a loop cord on the end of the handle that I use to clip it to my tube.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I use a measure net that’s pushing 20 years of use. I’m guessing it’s the large version. I like that it’s light weight and has a loop cord on the end of the handle that I use to clip it to my tube.
I've had mine about that long too. They're bullet proof. And love if the bag ever does tear, it's a zip-on replacement. At some point I didn't think the loop was strong enough, or it may have pulled out; can't remember which. But I pulled the foam back or off and secured a 3/4" brass eyescrew to the frame.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I seem to have lost my float tube net sometime over the summer. Taking advice on a new one. What do you like?

I'm coming from generally using a cheap one that lasts 1-2 years but am not sold on continuing that route. Would be nice to have one that can handle big bass and trout 😁
I too have the Fishpond mid-length Nomad net which I bought last year.
However, for years prior I used an extendable handle Measure Net. I didn’t care for the woven net it came with because flies (all barbless) would get stuck in it. I replaced that woven net with a rubber one and loved using that Measure Net for years, but it doesn’t float like my FishPond Nomad net.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Only suggestion I have is to get a net with a relatively deep bag. Not a fan of shallow nets that fish use as trampolines to flop out of. When I had my net made for me, I went with a deep bag.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
Only suggestion I have is to get a net with a relatively deep bag. Not a fan of shallow nets that fish use as trampolines to flop out of. When I had my net made for me, I went with a deep bag.
SF
Rubber nets are a game changer for sure. Makes life and removing hooks so much easier.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
If you want an inexpensive option: I have a fancy Rising Brookie net, but honestly grab this cheapo one 90% of the time, as it's bigger, lighter, and longer for netting from the yak. Been using it for about a year and a half with no issues. Only use the Rising one for wading now.
It does make even big fish look small for photos, tho 😆

Screenshot_20231011_200923.jpg

20230209_120838.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
SF
Exactly. Haven't seen too many rubber only nets with a deep bag though. Rubber coated? They're a dime a dozen.