Fixes for epoxy blush?

creekx

not crate trained
Well, one of my rod carriers got wet in the drift boat the other day. Normally wouldn't be a big deal, except I had packed my 5-weight BIIx at the last minute and it was still in the sock. So the damp sock kept the rod moist for a couple days and now the epoxy finish has blushed. Worst case is at the label. I have it in sunlight right now, but will that clear it up? Any other tricks short of sending it to Winston?

1655306865094.png

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Well, one of my rod carriers got wet in the drift boat the other day. Normally wouldn't be a big deal, except I had packed my 5-weight BIIx at the last minute and it was still in the sock. So the damp sock kept the rod moist for a couple days and now the epoxy finish has blushed. Worst case is at the label. I have it in sunlight right now, but will that clear it up? Any other tricks short of sending it to Winston?

View attachment 18441
This has happened to me on lower-end rods than Winston, and in time it cleared up on its own. And then it happened again, and cleared up again, etc.

creekx

not crate trained
Assuming it clears up after it dries completely, like Matt notes in his post above, cover it with clear lacquer, like SHHAN (Sally Hanson Hard As Nails). I did this to a favorite rod several years ago, and it has held up just fine.
Would moderate heat from a heat gun or hair dryer help? Done very carefully, of course...