SFR Fishing in the San Juan Islands

Sorta fishing-related

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm planning to cruise the San Juans on a large power boat in early August. What do folks fish for in the waters around them, and how do they do it? As a fly (sport) fisher I don't know much about food fishing in the salt.

Chucker

Steelhead
What rig? Hoochies, jigged?

I don't know ass from elbow when it comes to food fishing in the salt!

When you are cruising in a big boat, it’s not the time to start learning how to gear fish for salmon. You are very likely to be disappointed. Throwing flies at pink schools that you see is likely to be the most fun and the most productive.

I have done some cruising in the San Juans and BC. The boat we used had a tender with an outboard, and I brought a portable fish finder. The fishing gear stayed below decks until we were safely anchored for the night. After that I could take the tender out and fish reasonably effectively. Fishing from the big boat would have been a total waste of time.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
What rig? Hoochies, jigged?

I don't know ass from elbow when it comes to food fishing in the salt!

Six weight rod, type 3 line (just my preference), a chunk of 12 lb Maxima and small, pink, jiggy flies. Cast at jumpers/finners and try to stay ahead of them. Super fun fishing IMO, and extremely effective.

If fly fishing isn't an option I've always done well with tiny buzz bombs cast from light spinning rods. Personally I think smaller stuff fishes way better than the giant hardware many folks are tossing. Cast towards signs of fish and don't get super aggressive with how you work it. Subtle jigging with lots of pauses and drops is deadly.

But definitely check the regs, I can't say I'm familiar with the area 7 seasons this year but in recent years the salmon fishing seasons have been dwindling drastically up there.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
One other thing since you don’t fish the salt regularly. If you catch pinks and decide to keep some for dinner….bleed, clean and then ice them down immediately to keep them firm. You want to eat salmon, not mash potatoes. 😉
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
What about bottom fishing?...flat fish for the barbie?

Flounder would definitely be an option. And don't quote me on this as I haven't looked recently, but typically Cabezon fishing is open until sometime in Novemeber I believe.

Of course you're not likely to target cabbies without encountering a bunch of lings, which will be closed, and that may or may not approach some sort of ethical grey area for you, but if it's open it would definitely be an option to at least wet a line.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you are in a shallow bay, go for it. I would hesitate to do it in the rockier, deeper water. You could run into a lot of incidental rock fish which may not survive coming up from depth. In areas 6-13, all rock fish must be released immediately.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
And make sure to check out the regs regarding descending devices. Can't recall if it's required for flounder but anytime you are targeting bottomfish a descender device is required to not only be onboard but also rigged and ready for deployment. (Funny enough it's not specified that you actually have to use it, just that it be rigged and ready).