Fish Cat Cruzer Max?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are any of you using this Fish Cat model with the oars? If so , what is your opinion of it? Fish Cat makes 2 models, the cheaper, shorter Cruzer model with vinyl bladders and the bigger more expensive Max model with a single urethane bladder. 250# capacity for the smaller one and 300# for the heavier. $459 versus $629. Both will easily fit in my Subaru Outback and save me the effort of lifting a pontoon on top and strapping it down.

I was on a lake yesterday along with 2 other guys that both had the smaller Cruzer model with lots of wind on the lake. I never got a chance to talk to them about their boats but they seemed to get around far better than if they had been in a Fish Cat with no oars. Reading some reviews though it appears that both boats Achilles heel is the hard foam seat and back rest. I tried the foam seat in my Super Fat Cat at one point and threw it away after the first use, it was hard as the hubs of hell. I'm not sure if the SFC bladders would fit in the Max model or not but I have 2 SFC's so I have bladders on hand if needed.

If you have experience with these boats or know someone that has I would like to hear about it. I like the idea of the magnetic stripping apron and think I might have a way to mount a Garmin depth finder despite having oars. I still fish some small lakes with my SFC and it is an order of magnitude easier to carry inside the car than strapping a pontoon on the roof. Now in my 72nd year of fly fishing anything that is easier has a great deal of appeal to me.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It seems there was a discussion of this, maybe related to the Lost Creek X-Streamer that half the board ordered, but I’ll be darned if I can find the thread.

mickey rat

Vermin
Looks to me as if that is a Super Fat Cat with oars? I think that is a much better tube to put oars on over the smaller original. I have the Lost Creek X-Streamer and Fish Cat 4. If I had to only have one that Cruiser Max would be nice as you wouldn't even need to carry the oars a lot of times. Good Luck Ive!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Update: I just talked to Outcast about inflatable seats and they informed me that Super Fat Cat seats are interchangeable with the hard foam seats in the Max model. I'm in business! I have a new SFC that hasn't been used because I don't like the stripping apron, the bladders will make the Max a lot more comfortable. For those of you that are concerned about the air filled seat being cold, I was too. But a piece of closed cell foam about 1/2'' thick will be a butt warmer instead of a fanny fridge, attached with double sided carpet tape it stays in place for years.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Update update:

I found the Fish Cat Cruzer Max with oars at a place called Backcountry in Utah. Retail price is $629 but as a first time buyer I got 15% off and free shipping and he threw in free 2 day shipping as well so my out the door price was $575. Not bad, yesterday at this time I didn't even know these things existed and now I'm getting one in a couple of days and don't have to drive to Spokane to pick it up!

This will be a game changer for an old man, I won't have to load a boat on top of the Subaru, it will be safe inside and I won't have to watch my speed on the freeway plus get better mileage. Winner winner...

Divad

Whitefish
Update update:

I found the Fish Cat Cruzer Max with oars at a place called Backcountry in Utah. Retail price is $629 but as a first time buyer I got 15% off and free shipping and he threw in free 2 day shipping as well so my out the door price was $575. Not bad, yesterday at this time I didn't even know these things existed and now I'm getting one in a couple of days and don't have to drive to Spokane to pick it up!

This will be a game changer for an old man, I won't have to load a boat on top of the Subaru, it will be safe inside and I won't have to watch my speed on the freeway plus get better mileage. Winner winner...
Now enjoy a chicken dinner!

Would love a first float and fish report once you get it, nice purchase.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Okay, I ordered the boat on Friday morning and allegedly with 2 day shipping. By now it is nearing 10:00 pm and tracking informs me that it is ready for pickup but is apparently not going to be picked up today. So much for 2 day delivery. Plus the carrier is FedEx which doesn't do anything in 2 days here on the Tundra, I might as well be in Ubekistan for all they care. It seems that they only deliver here 2 days a week anyway so any attempt to deliver in 2 days from the order date is moot.

I would wager that the very earliest it will arrive is Tuesday but don't expect it before Thursday. Any money spent for expedited delivery in Ione is wasted money-go ahead FedEx, surprise me-I dare you!

Divad

Whitefish
Okay, I ordered the boat on Friday morning and allegedly with 2 day shipping. By now it is nearing 10:00 pm and tracking informs me that it is ready for pickup but is apparently not going to be picked up today. So much for 2 day delivery. Plus the carrier is FedEx which doesn't do anything in 2 days here on the Tundra, I might as well be in Ubekistan for all they care. It seems that they only deliver here 2 days a week anyway so any attempt to deliver in 2 days from the order date is moot.

I would wager that the very earliest it will arrive is Tuesday but don't expect it before Thursday. Any money spent for expedited delivery in Ione is wasted money-go ahead FedEx, surprise me-I dare you!
Is the package handling location within reasonable distance? If so you could shoot them a call and see if you can pickup today. I know it defeats the purpose of home delivery, sometimes the want to have it exceeds a couple days wait.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ive, let me guess, it's stuck in Troutdale, OR? That place seems to be a black hole of inefficiency when it comes to expedited deliveries

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fast forward to October 14 and this was the day that I retired my old Super Fat Cat. The new Cruzer Max with oars appears better in almost every respect. The stripping apron-long a disappointment on the Outcast boats is a vast improvement in my mind as it is more rigid and now attaches with magnets instead of buckles or snaps. The oars work better than expected and are retained by elastic cord when not in use. The pockets aren't as large due to the oarlocks but seem sturdy and still hold a lot of stuff. I have added a Scotty rod holder to the left side of the boat and the Canadian transducer mount to the right rear where it can't tangle my fly lines. The Garmin Striker was mounted on the right pocket flat against the surface with a plywood support plate inside the pocket. The transducer cable only runs a few inches before it enters the pocket and plugs into the back of the Garmin. I had to build a special mount to make it all work but the bottom line is that the depth finder is flush to the pocket with no wires or cables visible and can be seen easily from the seat. The tiny Nocqua lithium battery also resides in the pocket along with all the cabling being out of sight and hence out of harms way. The transducer is secured with a single NRS strap that can be removed in seconds and stored in the pocket for transport. It all fits nicely in my Outback, no more strapping stuff to the roof!

I think that the new Cruzer Max is going to be a really skookum boat-a Super Fat Cat with a Masters degree as it were. I was able to replace the hard foam seat with the inflatable bladders from the SFC and top it with closed cell foam for warmth and even more comfort. The entire package weighs less than 20# including the battery that weighs but 9 ounces and runs the Garmin for several days.

Float tubing has come a long way since my old Caddis roundie and has become downright comfortable these days. I think my Garman Striker mount is a breakthrough for it's clean installation with no cables or straps exposed, it just looks like part of the boat now instead of a cobbled up attachment. Next week it will be tested on several lakes and I am expecting very favorable results.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Glad the new tube is working out for you. I'm in similar situation in that I'm getting tired having to wrestle my Fish Cat Scout pontoon onto the roof of my Honda CR-V if I want to keep it inflated. I do want to have oars with whatever boat I get next and the options are limited. Nice that the Fat Cat inflatable seat and back fit into the new boat. I do prefer the inflatable seats.

It would be great to see a picture or two of the Garmin Striker and transducer mount when you get a chance. I'm also using the FishFinderMount.com setup for my Garmin.

Ken