First signs of fall

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Here's your sign.
20230829_allblkwolly.jpg
20230829_stones_beaver.jpg
Fished a section before it closes in a couple days. Lightning and thunder crashing overhead, 30mph gusts put a new cottonwood snag in about 100' behind me, and a surface covered with leaves. I was a little late, but the surface was carpeted after a gust
20230829_fallleaves.jpg
Fished a bunch of flies. The muddled hare's ear with partridge collar up top was the bomb. I don't know how they can find it out of all the other stuff riding along.
20230829_115928.jpg
Started the day with, what else
20230829_cute1stdoub.jpg
and ended the day with, what else
20230829_lastcast.jpg
Lots of fish in between, but the best fish ate, and the real star of the day, was Anderson's Bird of Prey, in October Caddis dress. Fall on the streams too.
20230829_birdofprey.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
What were the nymph cases on the log Tom? Golden Stones? I thought they just hatched in the spring.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
What were the nymph cases on the log Tom? Golden Stones? I thought they just hatched in the spring.
I'm really not positive. Doing my stream sampling though I'll come up with smaller stones represented by the golden knuckle dragging stone in jig hook 8-10, up to those big 6 and 8 3XL coffee/black guys all year round. They have more than a year life span so the trout are always familiar with them. There are always new ones showing up. Like the hares ear, I like to have something in my cast that the fish would be familiar with all year 'round, and big enough to be worth moving for.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I knew Golden Stones were in the river year around but didn't know that they hatched at different times.
I'll even find new shucks like these showing up with the fall caddis shucks later.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

A very common sight on the Big Hole in late summer.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

A very common sight on the Big Hole in late summer.
That's a good piece too, and a great description of how to fish the flies. Good confirmation of my experience. I lost upwards of a dozen flies yesterday as a result (and a few in the trees).

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tom, I'd like to know more about that "muddled hares ear with partridge collar" fly. Could you post a close up? What size fly? And was it fished as the upper half of a two nymph drift? Clearly this is a new fly to me and one that the fish like.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom, I'd like to know more about that "muddled hares ear with partridge collar" fly. Could you post a close up? What size fly? And was it fished as the upper half of a two nymph drift? Clearly this is a new fly to me and one that the fish like.
It is this fly, hares ear sbs, tied on a 12 or 10 1xl wet fly hook without the bead. I find it fishes well as a top dropper dry or film fly, or on point. Usually on point I fish it 24" behind a weighted nymph to get it deep.
Muddled hare's ear in the vice. Here is a shot of one, w/ added dyed "creeish" grizzly hackle palmered down the body. These were good to but I lost all my testers and need to tie more. I tied them for lake fishing, and they are super stream flies too.
20230829_mhe.jpg

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It is this fly, hares ear sbs, tied on a 12 or 10 1xl wet fly hook without the bead. I find it fishes well as a top dropper dry or film fly, or on point. Usually on point I fish it 24" behind a weighted nymph to get it deep.
Muddled hare's ear in the vice. Here is a shot of one, w/ added dyed "creeish" grizzly hackle palmered down the body. These were good to but I lost all my testers and need to tie more. I tied them for lake fishing, and they are super stream flies too.
View attachment 80989
Tom, that is very cool. A mix of two of the best flies ever created.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

Attachments

• 20230908_mudbumhe.jpg
    20230908_mudbumhe.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230908_fish1.jpg
    20230908_fish1.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 12

RCF

Life of the Party
So nice to have temps in the 50's in the morning and low 70's in the afternoon. Just flat out comfortable.

Almost time for October Caddis --> a true sign fall is here. My favorite fly to fish with a dropper below... And NO the October Caddis is not an indicator. It is a catcher of some really nice fish...

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
So nice to have temps in the 50's in the morning and low 70's in the afternoon. Just flat out comfortable.

Almost time for October Caddis --> a true sign fall is here. My favorite fly to fish with a dropper below... And NO the October Caddis is not an indicator. It is a catcher of some really nice fish...

Great fly for the Lady M in the fall, it'll catch mighty fine fish.

cheers

View attachment 80989
Check the tying thread. There's a guy there that has about 147 versions of muddled flies.
I think I joked once that deer always felt nervous around him.☺

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Check the tying thread. There's a guy there that has about 147 versions of muddled flies.
I think I joked once that deer always felt nervous around him.☺
Yes, @Scottp , I have visited several of the sites he's shared and adopted his/those styles into several flies I fish. @Zak inspired me to start fishing muddlers a couple years ago. Hadn't had much luck with them before I retried them. Love them now. Fished these today.

Attachments

• 20230914_145547.jpg
    20230914_145547.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: