NFR First new TV in 15 years.... dang!

Non-fishing related

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I don’t care what kind of TV you have, watching the Shining … outside surrounded by woods…in the dark….is creepy as fuck. First saw this movie as a child 30+ years ago and it still gives me the heebie jeebies :).

IMG_3467.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
Completely agree, though I spent decades working around silly people who took 'their' teams' successes or failures to the extent it actually affected their emotional well-being.

And they'd get quite upset when they'd crow how "we won" and I'd respond "No, they won and you watched".
The name crusty suits you very, very well 😁

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The name crusty suits you very, very well 😁
Thank you!

With age occasionally comes the wisdom and krustiness to recognize the foolishness of subordinating one's happiness to others who could care less about one's existence beyond that of a product consumer.

But, if it makes you feel complete, please keep buying their team commercial crap and honoring them with your rapt attention! 😄

Divad

Whitefish
Thank you!

With age occasionally comes the wisdom and krustiness to recognize the foolishness of subordinating one's happiness to others who could care less about one's existence beyond that of a product consumer.

But, if it makes you feel complete, please keep buying their team commercial crap and honoring them with your rapt attention! 😄
The emotion you see from a fan is topical in nature not deeply rooted to someone’s “well-being” like you mentioned. Though I could see how you would think that if you’re not a fan of any sports; an outsider.

I applaud the winded response. Age wisdom 😉 but it might make you more crusty 😁

Divad

Whitefish
At work in passing…
Ed: “what a bummer the _____s lost last night”
Krust: “STOP LETTING IT AFFECT YOUR LIFE”

Onto TVs, Amz will have a 55” for ~$200 this Black Friday. I remember standing in line at the PX 3am as a kid with my grandpa so he could get a 37” to watch baseball and mail call in HD.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I suspect managing 120+ facility employees over 40 years, and dealing with sports team self-identification associated DV, licensing, and financial trauma issues, may have contributed to my distorted view of its many beneficial aspects. I guess I just saw the fistfights, divorces, terminations, and post-game substance abuse absentism! My bad! 😆

Last edited:

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Because I got a PS5 last year that is going through an old 55 samsung that is 10 i think. I am ready for a new one. I dont plan on getting latest though at this point anything is an upgrade.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin I was fishin
I remember my mom getting pissed when my dad went and bought a color tv after church one Sunday in 1976 so we could watch the Seahawks game. I was 12 at the time. I'm watching the games on my 17 year old 720p Pioneer plasma now. Maybe time for a new color tv. Of course that means a new AVR too!
I'll have to start buttering up my wife.

EB590

Steelhead
I remember my mom getting pissed when my dad went and bought a color tv after church one Sunday in 1976 so we could watch the Seahawks game. I was 12 at the time. I'm watching the games on my 17 year old 720p Pioneer plasma now. Maybe time for a new color tv. Of course that means a new AVR too!
I'll have to start buttering up my wife.

Those pioneer plasmas were and probably still are really nice tvs. I never had one but I have a couple buddies that did and still do. They have a very nice picture.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
About 3 years ago I bought a 55" TCL to replace a 46'' Samsung. As I recall it was about $260 at the time and was a very nice Roku TV. This year I bought a 65" TCL for $268 and gave the 55" to a fishing buddy. The new one is even more impressive and the picture is surprisingly good. In fact, a friend visited this summer that has a $3,000 Samsung and he was astounded by the picture quality. Just like the new vehicles, the more acronyms a TV has the higher the price so I bought the cheapest one in the price class after comparing picture with the high end model. I am not enough of a TV snob to understand what all of those acronyms stand for or how they should be important to me but for some they constitute bragging rights and are therefore of the utmost importance. I am very pleased with my cheapo which looks anything but cheap and has picture right out to the corners, no wasted screen space.

In a couple of weeks I will be moving into my winter quarters on the Little Spokane River in Colbert, Wa. It is a luxurious apartment but has a smallish TV. Right now I can buy a new 55'' TCL for $248-less than the cost of 3 months of TV at home. I will use it for the winter then gift it to the VRBO owner for the next occupant to enjoy. I guess my point is that you can buy a very good TV these days for peanuts or buy an outstanding one for 10X more or any point in between. TV's are a mature technology and the prices reflect that, there is little more to do to improve picture quality so what remains is adding bells and whistles to move more product.

I remember when CD players first came out and a guy bought one for around $1,000 that played a single disc. I recently bought a portable model with Bluetooth for the Casa that cost <$60 and is better in every way. TV's won't go away like CD's did but it is likely that the cost will continue to drop.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our wifi signal comes out of a box hooked to the Comcast cable. How do you get wifi to hook the cheater box to?

It has an antenna to capture your wifi signal.

It's been 6+ months and no issues.
I don't watch much tv, but I have viewed new release movies, sporting events and many ppv shows. So the box has paid for itself with hopefully years of free viewing to come.