Fire wood

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Camping at Big Pine next week. Does the camp host have fire wood for sale or do I need to bring my own? Thanks.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Desirable as a campfire is, it just isn't safe in tinder dry conditions these days. I encountered 3 wildfires along I-90 in the past week, 2 unattended, but all reported. I don't know what's going on . . . sparks from vehicles, smokers throwing cigarette butts out the window, but lightning didn't seem likely in any of those cases.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yeah its drier than a popcorn fart
Dry as a bone
Dry as a dingos donger

:)

RCF

Life of the Party
Driest on record for this past summer in Seattle. Bet that applies across the entire PNW.

JayB

Steelhead
My friend just waived the white flag and bought a portable propane fired fire bowl. Thinking of doing the same.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Neither it appears...
Yes, I get knew that, but from the same posting..."Please be aware that Public Lands (Department of Natural Resources, United State Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management) each have their own jurisdictions and authorities for outdoor burning rules on those lands. Here are some helpful links to help you find the burn ban information with each agency." Big Pine is BLM land and the reservation website does not mention a ban and indicates campfires are allowed in designated fire pits. That said, I have a gas fire pit I could bring. Just would rather not lug it and the gas cylinder if I don't have to. I'll look for more information from BLM.

Edit: Looking further (https://www.blm.gov/press-release/fire-restrictions-increasing-public-lands-eastern-washington), guess I will lug the gas fire pit or go without.

smc

Guppy Chow
Yes, I get knew that, but from the same posting..."Please be aware that Public Lands (Department of Natural Resources, United State Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management) each have their own jurisdictions and authorities for outdoor burning rules on those lands. Here are some helpful links to help you find the burn ban information with each agency." Big Pine is BLM land and the reservation website does not mention a ban and indicates campfires are allowed in designated fire pits. That said, I have a gas fire pit I could bring. Just would rather not lug it and the gas cylinder if I don't have to. I'll look for more information from BLM.

Edit: Looking further (https://www.blm.gov/press-release/fire-restrictions-increasing-public-lands-eastern-washington), guess I will lug the gas fire pit or go without.
There is a link in that article to the BLM current fire restrictions. No fires, including charcoal briquette fires, even with provided metal rings: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/fire-restrictions-increasing-public-lands-eastern-washington

Here's the pertinent text:

"Fire Restrictions Increasing for Public Lands in Eastern Washington

Spokane, WA – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Spokane District will increase fire restrictions on public lands administered by the BLM and the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) in eastern Washington. The fire restrictions order has been modified to prohibit the building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, including charcoal briquette fires, even when contained within provided metal rings.
The temporary ban will take effect July 8, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. in the following counties: Adams, Asotin, Benton, Chelan, Columbia, Douglas, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Kittitas, Klickitat, Lincoln, Okanogan, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, Whitman, and Yakima."

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a gas fire pit I could bring. Just would rather not lug it and the gas cylinder
I'm with you on that, especially since I camp out of my pickup with already limited space.
That said, it's alot cleaner than packing wood which is now discouraged due to the potential of disease spread.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
My friend just waived the white flag and bought a portable propane fired fire bowl. Thinking of doing the same.
USFS campgrounds in the Naches drainage had signs posted at the registration stations that didn’t allow even those.
That’s the first time I’d ever seen that, and I was considering going that route and buying one myself.
Lots of burned and burning up landscape visible there and on the way since I last visited the area, so it’s understandable.