fave SH rods..?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Plan on picking up a couple new SH rods for the rivers and streams..what are you liking in the $500 - $600 range?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For streamer chucking, I've really been enjoying the G Loomis IMX-Pro V2.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Single Hand or Steelhead rods?
I assume single hand rods. 😬

I have not tried or even seen one yet but have read and heard a couple decent things about the newer Echo Trout X rod. Not to be confused with its trout series. This rod comes in real light weight.
Review from our own…

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
What type of fishing in rivers in streams? Metolius type fishing or lower d type fishing? D headwaters? Or the fall? Blue lining up in the mountains? Glass or graphite?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
gave my son my older 4 and 5 wts, so need to replace them for Fall River, upper Metolius, Upper Deschutes, Hosmer...Echo X looks promising

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
hadn't thought of it..from who?
Depends how much you want to spend…

Steffen, Kabuto, Barclay, Epic or McFarland on the high end. The steffen, Kabuto and epics may be a bit faster, ie slightly closer to graphite.

Glass is such a fun hopper dropper fishing tool. Just thinking about wet wading and fishing golden stones on the upper Met with a glass rod in the summer makes me smile.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I've got a (still has plastic on the cork) Echo 3, 9' 4wt I'd part ways with if you're interested. By no means a $500-$600 rod, but it holds its own as a dry fly rod. PM me if you're interested.

1701200588692.png

Oh, PS....favorite SH = Hardy Zephrus 10' 5wt. It speaks my (shitty) casting language quite well.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sage X 691 on sale. They’re still out there.
Orvis Helios 3 6wt also on sale.

Echo Trout X 905

But really, if you’re getting two, I’d do a 6wt and a 4wt. Like a T&T Contact II 10’ 4 if you do more nymphing or a Scott G 904, and then a 6wt.

Edit: Apparently I didn’t finish my thought/sentence.

Last edited:

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Too many to choose from but if I had to -
Sage X 486-4 if you can find one and like to work with lighter setups.

Also, what everyone else said…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
My favorite sh rod is a two piece 5wt Burkie…but it’s not in that price range…