Fave beetle pattern?

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
I really enjoyed the ant pattern thread and will stock up on some of the recommended patterns. I also need to replenish my beetle patterns, so what’s your favorite ?

Last edited:

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I responded in the other thread and my answer is the same here: starling and herl. Not sure if it works because it works, or if it works because it is what is on the end of my line, but it works! 12 and 14 for me. Sometimes on a curved hook.
Btw if there is a favorite baitfish pattern thread my answer will be…. Something else I swear!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Peacock body under a black foam back with black rubber legs and a pink or white foam or yarn hot spot tied in to be able to see it better.
SF

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I responded in the other thread and my answer is the same here: starling and herl. Not sure if it works because it works, or if it works because it is what is on the end of my line, but it works! 12 and 14 for me. Sometimes on a curved hook.
Btw if there is a favorite baitfish pattern thread my answer will be…. Something else I swear!
have a photo of an example?

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
With or without legs seems to be the main variable. All mine are foam body with the peacock herl.. Not sure the trout care if it has rubber legs or not...

Created one with spent wings, Zing-wings under split dark olive Thin Skin wing covers. Peacock dubbing for thorax and abdomen with dark olive barred hackle for legs. Am interested in how the fish will respond to it.

Reactions: Zak

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Beetle bat or Crowe beetle. Not super durable but seem to plop right and float nicely (although lower than foam)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

Zoran

Steelhead
IMG-6384.jpg

IMG-6386.jpg

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been tying the Unsinkabeetle for many years as a non-specific beetle pattern. It floats well, is easy to tie, and catches fish. I tie in brown and green and have had good success with both.

I 2nd the Unsinkabeetle. This thing has really worked well for me.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
I have been tying the Unsinkabeetle for many years as a non-specific beetle pattern. It floats well, is easy to tie, and catches fish. I tie in brown and green and have had good success with both.

After watching the video it looks like a winner....