NFR EV Home Plug in?

Non-fishing related

Flymph

Steelhead
We are about to upgrade are present electrical paneling. That said, we will include an EV plug in. I would really like to hear from folks who have done this on the do's and dont's and any other sage advice you would be willing to share.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
We have a Tesla charger in our place on the coast installed by the previous owners. We don't have a Tesla (f*ck Elon) but it works fine with an adapter on other cars. Later installed a JuiceBox in our primary residence for our PHEV.

We had an electrician install a dedicated circuit for the Juicebox, same as the Tesla. Both are hardwired into the breaker box. If I were to do it again, I would think hard abut getting the plug in version of the charger instead and had the electrician install the appropriate socket instead of hardwiring the charger. Easier to take it with you if you move and/or upgrade the charger as technology advances (electrician's can be hard to schedule and are $$ these days).

The JuiceBox app for my phone sucks but doesn't affect charging.

davew

Just Hatched
I repurposed an unused dryer circuit for my EV. It works fine but is a little slow (240V, 30 amp). I plug my Wallbox into the outlet and charge at 24 amps. The Wallbox has an internal switch that can limit charging to the maximum amperage of your circuit - 80% of capacity.

If I was doing it from scratch like you, I'd have the electrician install a 240V, 50 amp line to a 14-50 outlet. You can either plug your car directly into the outlet, or use a charger like my Wallbox or the Juicebox mentioned above.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I ran a 50 amp receptacle for my sons car , his electric panel had a couple empty slots , ordered the 6 ga wire , and the charger from Amazon . Ran the wire to his garage , and all went well .

Divad

Whitefish
I don’t own one but wiring a plug based 240v would be infinitely more universal than a dedicated X company head unit. And allow any future changes to be easily adapted.

Unless the price for a plug based charger is noticeably higher I’m not sure why that wouldn’t be the standard already.

Again I don’t own one, my two cents.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don’t own one but wiring a plug based 240v would be infinitely more universal than a dedicated X company head unit. And allow any future changes to be easily adapted.

Unless the price for a plug based charger is noticeably higher I’m not sure why that wouldn’t be the standard already.

Again I don’t own one, my two cents.

The actual receptacle we wired for my son was the same 240 receptacle that I have in my garage for my welder . If he wanted to he could also use it for that .

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We are about to upgrade are present electrical paneling. That said, we will include an EV plug in. I would really like to hear from folks who have done this on the do's and dont's and any other sage advice you would be willing to share.

Just go 6 ga. wire ,50 amp breaker , follow code ,there is not much to it . We ran from the breaker box in his basement , along the floor joists where other lines were run , thru the garage wall , installed a remodel box for the receptacle , not a hard job at all . Although that 6 ga romex was a bit difficult to work with being so stiff .

Flymph

Steelhead
Just go 6 ga. wire ,50 amp breaker , follow code ,there is not much to it . We ran from the breaker box in his basement , along the floor joists where other lines were run , thru the garage wall , installed a remodel box for the receptacle , not a hard job at all . Although that 6 ga romex was a bit difficult to work with being so stiff .
Do you mind sharing as to what type of charger you ordered from Amazon? Amazon offers "portable" units that were recommended in an earlier post????

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Do you mind sharing as to what type of charger you ordered from Amazon? Amazon offers "portable" units that were recommended in an earlier post????

I will check with my son on what charger he bought on Amazon , never paid much attention other than getting the right receptacle for it .

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
For best charging performance, you want a 50 amp 240 circuit. The outlet looks like a dryer plug bit is not. Any electrical contractor can install it easily. Probably not cheaply, however. The Tesla fixture is not needed.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For best charging performance, you want a 50 amp 240 circuit. The outlet looks like a dryer plug bit is not. Any electrical contractor can install it easily. Probably not cheaply, however. The Tesla fixture is not needed.
No , not a dryer receptacle, but the same as most 240 welding machines . An electrician quoted my son $1100, pretty ridiculous, that was labor , to run 20’ . I’ve wired 240 circuits for my welding machines , had to run in conduit in my previous house , no way to get the wires inside the wall to where I wanted in my garage from my electric panel . No different than wiring a simple 110 plug .