Esox....the journey

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Figured this would be a good place to start....

1652219670053.png
props go to bambamflyguy.com

let's hear about your journey.

For me, it all started here...first fish, within the first 30 min of my first attempt for them. I'm still not entirely sure how the fuck I managed this! One of the few where my buddy (Mr. Chin on other, now defunct, forums) was right there to get a nice photo grab.

gWhAy3g.jpg

This fish showed up after a full retrieve to my feet, only it wasn't looking at my fly, it was looking at my fins! I pulled my fins out of the water instantly and the fish slowly swam off. I immediately fired a cast off in the general direction it went and immediately hooked up. "FUUUUUCK YEEEAH"!!!! was probably uttered a dozen times by each of us. Once in the net, we were both, "now what?"...well, this is what!

We didn't get to measure it, but to this day, we both still think it was bigger than anything else either of us have brought to the net (a couple of legit 50" fish have hit the net) but it could just be the nostalgia of that first being the best, I dunno. regardless, that got me hooked!

Cheers!

Hopefully, this can be anything and everything muskies, tigers or otherwise!

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I wish I lived closer to Musky. I have never fished for them, but I know I would dig it.
I do fish for pike, thanks to a client who became a good friend. He sponsors me on trips to Manitoba. My best from trip number 1.View attachment 13980
ok, I'm gonna rename this to a more general "Esox" vibe....I want to see it all! Nice! btw

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Well, you know my deal, since you suckered me into this black hole, although it took me considerably longer to land a fish. Looking forward to getting back out there this summer. I love the scenery up there, and that you can catch a toothy predator bigger than the kids splashing in the shallows nearby.

4309748C-FDDE-47B9-A541-979C3A911F11.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D94B4DA-1FAF-4813-98A2-668700A1CE35.jpeg
    6D94B4DA-1FAF-4813-98A2-668700A1CE35.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 16

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Well, you know my deal, since you suckered me into this black hole, although it took me considerably longer to land a fish. Looking forward to getting back out there this summer. I love the scenery up there, and that you can catch a toothy predator bigger than the kids splashing in the shallows nearby.

View attachment 13983
we've gotta decide which cheek to take a pic of....you know, for future reference.

btw, I can't tell you how stoked I was when you told me you got one! that was too awesome!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Story is a bit old and I'm sure you must've read it before but muskies up here in Canada are like the sharks of the Caribbean..

that tooth pattern in unmistakable. Looks like she didn't get a chance to jerk away....a good thing, otherwise you end up with tears (not tears...or maybe both) and far more blood letting. Sadly, I know all too well about this having owned snakes for most of my life and having gone both directions on that one...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
we've gotta decide which cheek to take a pic of....you know, for future reference.

btw, I can't tell you how stoked I was when you told me you got one! that was too awesome!

That was the net-breakingest, rod-breakingest fish I've ever caught

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If it is all in on esox, chain pickerel, probably more than anything, made me a lifelong fisherman. I grew up in the Maryland tidewater and had decent fishing for white perch, breams and chain pickerel walking distance from my house. It was the pickerel that were the trophies on crankbaits, spoons, and flies. Once i got a driving license it went more towards bass and trout, but a pickerel slamming a rat-l-trap… i can still feel that 35years later!

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
So, the tiger muskies that are stocked here? Were they originally stock brought in from the Belfonte hatchery in Penna. ??

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Ok, not to argue the point. What I'd been looking for was the history on stockage here in WA. like , did the original fish come from a certain hatchery noted for helping to deveolpe the fish as a viable sport fish, or did they occur naturally? I didn't see any of that on the WDFW site.

Will do some searches later to satisfy my curiosity.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't think it is there, perhaps a Google search is in your future...or, you could email the area biologist. I find that they are quite free with their information.

They ARE bred specifically for a viable sport fish (for here). Where, I don't know. But they also occur naturally in areas where both Pike and Muskies overlap but the two fish have different breeding strategies along with different temperature preferences, so the overlap there is slim....

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

alpinetrout

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My journey has only involved Esox lucius to date, but it's involved multiple countries, states, provinces, and territories. The first came from a lake in a national park in Alberta and the most recent was from Bristol Bay, Alaska. The furthest I've caught them from home was in the highlands of Scotland, and the nearest was on the Pend Oreille River.

Justin Crump from Frigate Travel took this shot on what might have been his first day guiding in Alaska when his client didn't insist on targeting salmonids.
IMG_20190826_214023_726.jpg

The one was incidental while lake trout fishing in the Yukon and was the biggest I've landed without wire or heavy mono
IMG_1356.JPG

Lame photo, but my one and only invasive Washington pike (bonked accordingly)
DSCF1541.JPG