Epropulsion outboard

Kado

Steelhead
Anyone have feedback about these? Pricey, but they seem ideal for what I’d use it for.
Thx

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I briefly had looked in to these out of curiosity. With a range of 20ish miles (if I recall... too lazy to dig it all back up), I can't think of many use-cases where they'd really be a good choice.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Torqeedo 1103 (3hp) that we bought for an Achilles dinghy. It’s leftover now that the cruiser is gone, and was used only once. It would be near perfect on the back of the DB, except it’s a short shaft. They don’t make a long shaft conversion that I’ve found. Pity. It’s barely audible running and very convenient. I may use it on the Achilles on lakes, unless it’s predicted to be windy. Torqeedos are spendy, but there’s a lot to like. I’m sure the battery would last several hours at trolling speed, and still get you back to the truck.

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
IMHO electric propulsion is awesome! It definitely has its drawback, distance, charging batteries, and expense. But, the pros are it’s quiet, low maintenance.

I would love to outfit a boat with one, but,… the con, expensive, out ways the pros for me.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It seems like it would be a good option, especially for lakes if you didn’t go long distances and just used it for relocating and getting back and forth to the ramp. You could obviously do the same with a Minnkota or similar.
You have to think the battery technology and distance will improve in the future. Whether the cost goes down I’m not sure. Maybe when some of the bigger names in outboards get more into the electric game?
SF

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I looked into electric motors for my 14' Klamath. The salesperson said no-go as I would need 300 lbs worth of batteries for a boat that can hold 600 lbs. Not sure if this is applicable to your setup

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
John, clearly your salesman is not up to speed with today’s battery and engine technology. I seriously doubt it will overtake gas engine power, but it is certainly a viable option for many uses. I see a local company here on Lake Washington testing their engines, and they run like the proverbial bat out of hell. You could probably ski behind it. I believe my 3hp will run 3.5 hours at full speed (if I remember correctly), and 20 miles or so. Even if the marketing material is 15% BS, there’s plenty for a long day of fishing whether trolling or running here and there. A second battery wouldn’t be cheap but you could probably spend a long weekend somewhere without charging.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I believe my 3hp will run 3.5 hours at full speed (if I remember correctly), and 20 miles or so. Certainly plenty for a long day of fishing whether trolling or running here and there.
size/weight of boat and top speed at full twist?

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This was in an 11’ Achilles, but I don’t think size and weight are the determining factor. They certainly are for speed. And, I just used it bopping around the bay and running to a pub.
I’ll find the manual in a bit and quote it directly. Like anyone I wouldn’t trust it completely without some testing, but it’s likely reasonably accurate.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I currently do have an electric motor. 36v 112lb Thrust Minn Kota :cool:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
OK, I previously misspoke. My Torqeedo 1103 will run at top speed for 50 minutes at 10mph “depending on boat”. Or, 13 hours at slow speed, 6 hours at half throttle. Still, with no extraneous cables (the battery attaches on top of the shaft), noise or fumes, it’s convenient and pleasant.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I definitely like that this is happening. With advances made over the years, I really look forward to offshore-ready models 😃

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Technology is blooming in this field. I’ll bet my Torqeedo is a dinosaur in 3-5 years.

Chucker

Steelhead
John, clearly your salesman is not up to speed with today’s battery and engine technology. I seriously doubt it will overtake gas engine power, but it is certainly a viable option for many uses. I see a local company here on Lake Washington testing their engines, and they run like the proverbial bat out of hell. You could probably ski behind it. ...

Pure watercraft? Their outboard is marketed as a direct replacement for a 40-50hp outboard, and it is a believable claim. The problem is that their battery system weighs 236 pounds (motor is 112) and the motor + batteries costs $30k. The equivalent 40hp setup that I currently have is about 70 pounds lighter, has more than twice the range, and costs $23k less.

Having said that, I’d still buy one tomorrow if I had the money, or could find a half price coupon! I think the advantages outweigh the lack of range.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yes, it’s Pure that I’ve watched and only spoken to briefly. Next to us at Elliot Bay Marina is docked a (Green Line) hybrid electric, 39’ cruiser. I don’t think they have much range going all electric, but the top has several solar panels, and I expect when they’re running gas (or diesel) it also charges the boat. It will become common over time. The key is (to me) when to enter the fray. (After the cutting edge.)
1714418360126.jpeg

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Technology is blooming in this field. I’ll bet my Torqeedo is a dinosaur in 3-5 years.
I dunno man-5 years is a lifetime in the electronics market. If the push to get petroleum pollution off of lakes takes hold things will happen fast. Remember a few decades back when they started talking about unleaded gas and people thought it was quaint but didn't take it seriously.

One of the big advantages of electric on lakes is that there is a finite perimeter so getting back to your start point shouldn't be too difficult. Not so true on huge reservoirs but we have to assume some planning skills on the part of the operator. Having had gas powered outboards before I like the idea of quiet non-smelly electric power. I also like all of the battery powered stuff like weed whackers, chain saws, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, camping stoves and will be adding a battery powered snow blower before winter. It all improves every year. Yeah, early adapters are paying through the nose right now as the development curve is in the steepest part of it's ascent but that will level out when the product becomes mainstream.

Before I saw this thread this morning I was wondering what will be done with millions of vehicles on this planet when gas is no longer available. What is your guess? Perhaps all of the cute utes and SUV's would make good greenhouses with all of their windows, doors and hatches. Fill them with dirt and plant crops and since they have wheels tow them around to be in the best sunlight. But how do we tow them-a brace of oxen?

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Crush them into cans. Most likely (hopefully) recycling technology also improves.