Elwha 2024?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For nearly 100 years, trout survived above the dams which had no fish passage for salmon.
SF

flybill

Life of the Party
Have they ever considered permitting it to limit access? It works in other states, like the Smith in MT. Hopefully no guiding as well. For me I will need to get in better shape to even consider the hike in and overnighting it. Maybe someday soon.. great info on this thread!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Have they ever considered permitting it to limit access? It works in other states, like the Smith in MT. Hopefully no guiding as well. For me I will need to get in better shape to even consider the hike in and overnighting it. Maybe someday soon.. great info on this thread!
There are a finite number of campsites up there. Last time I went, fishing was allowed and no reservations were required. Given the interest in fishing the Elwha after it being closed, and given the YHOOOJ increase in outdoor recreation overall since that time, especially since 2020, it seems like some kind of permit system would be necessary, just for the overnighting alone, hopefully not for fishing. The size of the trailhead parking lot to accommodate day trippers would be another limiting factor where popular spots are bursting at the seams all over the state.
No guiding in the Park would be my preference.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There are a finite number of campsites up there. Last time I went, fishing was allowed and no reservations were required. Given the interest in fishing the Elwha after it being closed, and given the YHOOOJ increase in outdoor recreation overall since that time, especially since 2020, it seems like some kind of permit system would be necessary, just for the overnighting alone, hopefully not for fishing. The size of the trailhead parking lot to accommodate day trippers would be another limiting factor where popular spots are bursting at the seams all over the state.
No guiding in the Park would be my preference.
Everybody knows that the road into Whiskey Bend (the parking area) is closed right? To get to the river above there is only like 10mi from the current parking area (hiking the road to Whiskey then up to Humes.) The road is planned to be rebuilt. I’m not sure if that’s planned before or after the Dosey rd 😵‍💫

flybill

Life of the Party
Found this article interesting.. some other articles that I haven't gotten to yet. It's from June 2022, but still a good read.